Motorcycle Forums banner

Men accused of doing 150-plus with motorcycle, Corvette following

15K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  obandoj 
#1 ·
Somehow this doesn't seem all that wrong...

#2 ·
First 205 in MN and now this. I now get to watch my insurance go through the roof. When will these people learn that we'll loose our rights to ride if this BS keeps up.

/rantoff

#3 ·
With all the attention this kind of stuff has gotten recently in the news, one would think that this has never happened before.

I guess what they don't know won't hurt them.

The fact that it's a news story in spite of it's frequency highlights the fact that most motorcyclists can do this occassionally without killing anybody, themselves included.

Motorcyclists, due to their reduced risk of injury to others, should have different rules than the average brain-dead and uncoordinated cage driver. To wit, put motorcycles under a common-law rule. No harm, no foul.

#8 ·
It is a sportbike owner's responsibility to test out how fast their new bike can go. It is also a requirement of sportbike ownership to race (and obliterate) rich yuppy sportscar owners, especially if the rich yuppy sportscar owner has a piece of asp woman in the passenger seat 15 years his junior.

#14 ·
Me. Until recently I haven't owned a bike that would go that fast.

"I don't think its possible to merge onto an interstate without breaking 130. I don't know how to not do it."

In California, you'd rear-end someone as soon as you pulled onto the freeway at that speed.

#15 ·
Speaking of m/c speeders. I saw the cops run into a speeder on a green Ksaki Ninja while stopping him on "Wildest Police Chases" last night.

What color's your bike, longride? We haven't heard much from you lately. Did you make bail? Or do they have internet access at the county slammer?

#17 ·
You're right. But the press has never made it an issue.

What we do need to be concerned about is the media deciding to make a crusade about m/c speeders. If the media starts harping on this then the kneejerk idiots in the legislatures will respond with more stupid laws. Lord help us if they decide to make it a "public safety" issue. Americans will pretty much support any sort of "totalitarianism with a smile" legislation if you scare them enough with newspaper and TV propaganda.

#19 ·
And pretty soon the only place you'll be able to speed in will be Mexico.

Ghod save us. Margarita anyone?

#25 ·
The problem is all the bad press SUV's and cell phones get.

Most of the *****-birds who believe and write this crap drive SUV's, anything that can be shown as the "newest danger" to god-fearing citizens that deflects attention away from them is good

Since motorcycles are looked on with disdain by most of these creten's anyway, why not.......

#26 ·
Not exactly. That situation is as such IMO.

Cars are an interest to the entire public unlike motorcycles which are an interest to a very small percentage of the public. Lobbyist, politicians, and Oprah watching soccer moms love to pass poorly thought out legislation against things they don't participate in and don't enjoy themselves and therefore can't (or don't care to) take the time to understand how another enjoys it. They read a few blips in the newspaper and make up their mind that this is how it is in whole and the best solution is to get rid of it.

If we were really concerned as a society about saving human life, preventing crime, improving the family unit, improving education, lowering the cost of health care, lowering the cost of insurance, decreasing vehicle accidents, and so on and so on we'd make alcohol and illegal drug (eek gads, that was painful to say!!!) and forbid its consumption. We wouldn't focus more attention on that and less on the (in comparison) extremely small number of problems created by speeding motorcycles, riding in the desert and scaring some turtle, riding mx bikes in our own back yard, helmet laws...or, the ban of semi-automatic weapons, gay marriage, did the prez. get a bj, smoke mary jane, or are his daughters partying to much at school, the proliferation of nuclear weapons (well, okay maybe not that one).

Alcohol is the culprit in such a high percentage of our problems that its elimination would save this country billions of dollars and have a drasitic effect on reducing an uncountable number of problems (domestic violence, auto and motorcycle accidents, shooting your limo driver with a shotgun while showing off in your mansion, kpauls posts;-), etc.). So why isn't it banned??? Because so many people love to get sauced no one would dare suggest it (my god, that would effect them also not just some person they don't give a damn about or some activity they don't participate in).

That's why speeding in automobiles will never be the same as speeding on motorcycles.

Also, why did your car insurance go down? Did you pass the age of 25, did your driving record improve, did you sell the trans am and buy a mini van, did you move to a lower risk area, get a car alarm, start parking in a garage? I doubt the cost to insure automobiles is falling without some factor like the previous ones not playing a role.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.