Motorcycle Forums banner

Mercedes/VW/BMW/Ducati

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  sarnali2 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well that's interesting. Usually Italian m/c makers get sold when they're at the brink of financial collapse. Unless they're snowing everybody, Ducati's been doing great for several years now...

Here's an article suggesting they may do an IPO out of Hong Kong. Man, what a great way to ruin a company...take them public and all of sudden instead of making motorcycles, their primary concern becomes quarterly EBITA and EPS.
Ducati Owner Said to Mull Sale or H.K. IPO - Bloomberg

Did you laugh out loud when you read HD might buy them? I did!

#3 ·
Cashing Out

I really can't see the logic of selling the company other than the current owners becoming even more wealthy. The Ducati passion will only be diluted if any of the named prospects take over or the company offers an IPO. They bring nothing to the party as I see it. Especially H.D. Maybe I'm missing something.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't think you're missing anything at all. This is the same pattern I've seen over and over here in the US.

Yoostabee a guy would build up a company and keep it going for his kids and grandkids to take over. And employ people for decades in the process, building equity for everyone in the process. Nowadays, the idea is spin it up, dress it up, and take it public. Then, if the the IPO goes well and you get a couple years of decent returns, sell it to the highest bidder and walk away; too bad what happens to the employees, community, etc.

It's not a good pattern for the long-term health of the economy or our society.

#11 ·
There should be no inheritance tax whatsoever.
They've been around a while:

"Estate taxes are not a new phenomenon; they date back almost three thousand years. As early as 700 B.C., there appears to have been a 10 percent tax on the transfer of property at death in Egypt. In the first century A.D., Augustus Caesar imposed a tax on successions and legacies to all but close relatives."

Estate Taxes An Historical Perspective

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.