Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
729 Posts
Re: Karate?

Ok, ok you called me on hyperbole. Dammit. It was supposed to be a polite metaphor for saying that you looked like someone not to be trifled with - without sounding like a wuss.

Anyway my point was that it would have been a 4 - way melee for the Speed 4 and the Hornet on the MO parking lot if we'd done it WWF style and I was just sizing up the competition, sort of like an NFL pre-game show, for everyone else.

cheers

· Registered
729 Posts
Re: Karate?

Well IMO that just means that you were more astute than the rest of us. I thought you started out on the speed 4? At any rate everything was actually a model of social cooperation until we got off the freeway downtown and the hooligan behavior began. Remember that? The veneer of civilization is mighty thin. I felt bad for Sean who, in spite of his initial come-to-Jesus speech to all of us, had to watch all of his potential future earnings pass before his eyes everytime someone performed an "unauthorized" maneuver on one of the test bikes. And, as I recall, you were a member in good standing of the hooligan squad. So my initial impression stands. Swagger with pride my friend :)

· Registered
729 Posts
I think that all of our testers would agree that the YZF600R is a tremendous bike (definitely one of my all time favorites anyway). But this comparo was about attitude as much as anything else and the YZF is quite a bit different in that regard. Doesn't mean it's not a tremendous bike in it's own right but I think that overall the spectrum of middleweight standards was pretty well represented by the bikes MO chose.

One can argue correctly and endlessly about what bikes should have been included and which should have been left out but you have to draw the line somewhere. In this case I think practicality played a key role. MO tested what they could get their hands on in the time allowed and limited themselves to the number of bikes they could find qualified riders to ride.

· Registered
729 Posts
I certainly hope you enjoy your bike but you are dead wrong in your assertion that the bikes we tested will be junk in five years. With the possible exception of the Harley I would ride any of these bikes anywhere. Most of these bikes have a known track record which the Berva, as of yet, does not. So I'd be a little careful about knocking any of these machines before you find out what your Breva is going to do for you. Bad karma!

· Registered
729 Posts
The YZF600R doesn't need any validation in a mag to make it a great motorcycle in my book (though Motorcyclist has been consistently effusive in it's praise of this bike). If I had to make do with a single motorcycle for everything it would be one of my top three contenders.

And it's always been a lot of fun watching Fastrack instructors smoke the field on bone stock YZF600R's on track days. Imagine how crestfallen the inexperienced riders on their shiney new Gixxer 1k's must feel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.