Motorcycle Forums banner
161 - 180 of 228 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Bought the DL

Great article -- but you were off by one. After much research I bought the DL650 and put a Givi 3-bag set up on it two days ago. Only have a couple hundred commuting miles on it, but I'm very pleased. I did consider the other bikes here:

BMW - single cylinder? you're kidding, right?

Harley - too expensive, too heavy, tiny tank

Honda - that god-aweful seam on the tank, carbs, and grossly overpriced

Kaw - not even a contender

Triumph - buzzy, looks like an insect

Yamaha - stupid tach, buzzy

Yeah, I know the DL is bit (ok, a lot) cosmetically challenged, but it's just a plain great bike! Fuel injection, huge tank, good wind protection, nimble, blah, blah, blah. And I LIKE the height of this bike -- I have no problem seeing thru traffic and the cages can't miss those Givi bags from the rear. Yes, I'm one of the tall guys that adores this bike....

· Registered
22 Posts
Re: KPaul the Great Motorcycle Prophet makes a prediction.

Ducati has pretty much done this with the 1000DS series. Multistrada, Monster, 1000SS.

Moto Guzzi has been doing it for years (okay maybe no hard core sport bike.. yet - they got the hard core part down though :) )

BMW has the same philosophy with the Boxer twin.

Actually, now that I think about it - a lot of European companies do this.

Seems like the exception is race bikes - can't be competitve when you have to design 4 models instead of concentrate on one.

· Registered
22 Posts
Re: It was the 600S

Well I think, the YZF600R he is referring to is the Thundercat in Europe. The Fazer 600 has the same mill (detuned a little) as the YZF600R. I own one as well. No doubt, it is a better all around bike than any of these reviewed here. The YZF600R has a full fairing - I like to think of it as a middle-weight VFR (without all the unnecessary technology). It will be a shame if Yamaha removes it from the lineup.

Cheers!

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: waaay down to 60 LOL

Buz is killin me. I don't think there is one day this year I have ridden when it was above 55. Most commutes have been in the 25 to 30 range, and that was on the VMax. I do have a Widder vest, but use it mostly for long days in cold weather. You can dress up for a commuteand not be too cold, but a 200 or 300 mile day in very cold weather is nasty. I'm sure Buz made that 100 mile ride in that freezing 60 degree weather seem like nothin'! LOL

· Registered
160 Posts
What Gives

I read your FZ6 review and I don't remember too much being said about vibration or buzzyness. Now I read the comparo and everyone all of a sudden hates the tingly engine. All this leaves me wondering if you got a bad test bike?

· Registered
75 Posts
Re: mmm... Jeanine Garafalo... ggaaagaggaa

140? You're nuts! I thought an indicated 110 was way too much for that bike. Or maybe it was the wind...

Even in stock form, its the little bike that could. I use it for commuting (in the Chicago area, so not year-round), and it works great.

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: Middleweight?

Wow, things sure have changed, when the press considers a 1200cc Harley Sporster "middleweight" material. Middleweight compared to what? A Boss Hoss?

Nice shoot-out. Why no Nighthawk 750 Honda, or ZX750 Kawasaki? Too stone age? (When you think about it, though, you don't see too many people riding around on 'em, anymore.)

Nice you included the 500 Kawacker. Indestructible motor. Hell, I think you could nitrous one of those things, and still get 70,000 miles out of it.

Good job, guys. Guess I'll re-up, when the time comes...

· Registered
579 Posts

Judgin by recent review of the bigger kawi standard, it would've stomped these bikes. They really dug it. Probly came down to deciding which kawi to test, and they just went with the 500. They usually have thier reasons.

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts

Yeah, that air cooled 2 valve motor in the Kawi is tried 'n true. I have an '81 KZ with a big bore kit (875cc), it's a sleeper. Too bad I wasn't going up the Crest the day of the shootout. Nothing like getting passed by someone wearing a Bell Moto 3, and a Full Bore jacket. Heh heh...

161 - 180 of 228 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.