Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saving all of my pennies as we speak. Yossef rocks. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I feel like my $12 is well spent on MO.

It's my birthday! Whoopee! And a nice article to read, too, oh what sweet joy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh man is that bike ever so sweet. I did see an '02 Mille R in the Santa Barbara Hon/Yam/Suz dealer for about $12.5k (they are *really* trying to get rid of it), but this new bike looks, in the words of my British friend, well fit. Glad to hear Yossef's alright and there are no injuries other than perhaps to his pride. I think that's super cool of Aprilia to try and get him back on the bike too. I hope after I finish college and then grad school (sometime later this decade) that Aprilia would be willing to hire a motorcycle/physics nerd like myself. They seem like an awesome company...I bet it would be a blast to work with those guys. Maybe then I'll drop y'all that 990 cc triple so the GSX-R1000 boys will have some competition. Hey, we all have dreams...

Anyway, this new bike really looks the part and seems to go like hell - anyone wanna spot me some $$$? Cheers Yossef, keep on bringin' us da good ish.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, Yossef, you ain't no real rider if you haven't had a decent stack. Good on ya! (Would love to have a highside that didn't cost me anything...)

But, tell me: you say there's so much feedback, why didn't you notice the departure of the rear wheel?

Some other thoughts: It's a pity the old tank size (my '99 Mille still has a decent 21litres) hasn't persevered.

And what's with the weight? Is it impossible to build a twin below 180kgs?

Have that street-test up soon and include mileage, wheelie-ability (is she willing in third?), and is that instrument panel better?

Regardless, I'm sooo gonna buy this bike!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good review. I have always like Aprillias over that "other" brand (except perhaps the early round case Dukes).

I suppose I should applaud journalistic integrity as no shots of the alleged hotpants were included........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yossef may be the ONLY reason I renew my subscription, he's more interested in putting me on the motorcycle with him than spending 90% of the article telling me about himself. The rest of you writers could learn something from him. Thanks Yossef.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice test. Good job Yoseff.

I'm going out to get a second job tomorrow. THIS is the machine to get me riding again.

BTW, giveus some piccies of this supermodel dammit. You can't just build up our hopes of running eye over fine bike and babe only to get the former. :(

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
So you get to ride that new Mille at the track, wad it into a little ball, don't get injured seriously, and don't have to pay for it. Nice work if you can get it. Fantastic article too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had a Tuono for a few weeks now and the more I ride it the more I love it. I'm glad they chose to update and enhance their existing formula with this new RSV. I like their take on edging the frame out and that intake system looks to be damn sweet.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Feeling like your $12 is not well spent is hardly "popular opinion". Unfortunatly, we all have to listen every time a turd announces he is leaving the punchbowl. I guess some people need the attention. If they REALLY didn't like it here they would just go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was never a real fan of the previous Mille. Too bulbous and too many cheesy details and sort of a Japanese feel to it. This new one though looks very tasty.

If they were close to the same price I'm sure I would still prefer a 999S but for what will probably be $4-5K less the "Factory" is a very tempting alternative.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even talkative and sweet handling bikes have their limits :)

More to the point, rear end came around suddenly just past the apex, when I was at full lean, so there wasnt much to do or correct. I guess it was a combination of lean angle and being slightly out of the race line, where the track is a bit slick.

Regarding weight, the single item that tips the scales against Twins is their need for heavy cranks. Twin's crancks usually weight far more than a four's because of the need to balance such big pistons and steady their irregular firing intervals.

Cheers

Yossef

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ya gotta admit... for a company that comparatively recently jumped into the big bike market, Aprilia has had phenomenal success. Especially getting the power they do without resorting to Ducati's uneccessarily complex desmo with its resultant exhorbitant maintenance bills.

While the V-Twin may be dead in racing (ha ha) for the purposes of those of us who aren't professionals it doesn't matter if you've got a twin or a four. Aprilia offers a bike with all the Brembo and Ohlins and other goodies. The cost of upgrading a Japanese sportbike will make a Mille Factory R look inexpensive. Definitely an attractive package for those who like their track days.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Not a waste

I look at my MO subscription like any other magazine I subscribe to, Except I don't have to wait a month, It's updated every few days at least, and I get to retch a response if I feel the need.

What a deal. All they need now is to shoot a few bikes my way to get the ruggedly-handsome-yet-blindingly-fast-middle-aged-portly-guy perspective.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice article - 1 correction though

As usual, Yossef has done a great reporting job. As an original Mille R owner though, I think he got confused with the motor specs of the previous generation as the standard Mille and Mille R ALWAYS shared the same motors. Only the limited edition Mille SP homologation bike's motor was different, with a shorter stroke and heads designed by Cosworth and more claimed HP.

I still love my 2000 Mille R and it shames a lot of liter bikes at the track now, I can only imagine how much better the 2004 Erre Factory will be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Nice article - 1 correction though

Errr, ahem, oops. Caught me out on that one BUT, The 2003 RSV R Haga Replica did have 3 HP more. Otherwise, the Mille and the R had same engine spec indeed. Cheers and thanks. Yossef

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.