Motorcycle Forums banner

Missouri's Governer and Transportation Director Disagree Over Motorcyle Lobby

8K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  rapier 
#1 ·
Steve, your link requires us unwashed to register on the KC Star site. Can you post the text?

#5 ·
In case the links don't work...

In a nutshell, here's the story.
  1. There's a motorcycle group in Missouri lobbying to repeal the state's helmet law.
  2. Missouri's transportation director publicly stated that motorcyclists who pushed for repealing the adult helmet law seemed like "they hadn't bathed in two weeks."
  3. Missouri's governer, Matt Blunt defended the motorcyclist, stating, "they deserve the same level of respect as every other citizen who takes valuable time to share their concerns with their government officials."
  4. The transportation director issued an apology.
How many people think our Governator would stand up for us like that?

#7 ·
Awww shucks, SOMEBODY has to play the devils advocate...

and nobody else is stepping up to the plate so it's up to me.

Truth is the ultimate defense. If that Missouri crowd were the same kinda overweight Harley-riding Cleti you see promoting this stuff everywhere else... they probably did have a noticeable smell.

#10 ·
MOTORCYCLE SPAT

MOTORCYCLE SPAT

Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt was outraged recently by a comment from the state’s transportation director, Pete Rahn.

The tiff began when Rahn observed that motorcyclists who pushed for repeal of the requirement that riders wear helmets seemed like "they hadn’t bathed in two weeks."

Blunt fired off a news release in response.

"The Freedom of the Road Riders is a fine group of hard-working Missouri taxpayers who are active participants in our democracy and proponents for a cause they believe in strongly," the statement said. "They deserve the same level of respect as every other citizen who takes valuable time to share their concerns with their government officials."

Rahn apologized, then said: "It was an inappropriate remark and came from my frustration that knowing if the helmet repeal passed, 13 more motorcyclists would die on Missouri’s roads each year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
Yeah Well my governor can kick your governors smelly unwashed in two weeks ass. P.S. This is because I'm from arkansas and my governor has to be tough the governors mansion used to be a triple wide. Also it becomes more apparent to my feeble mind that Politicians couldn't survive in the real world it is probably because they are akin to lawyers.

#16 ·
The Guv'ner is right. Even if these are typical smelly Harley riders, like longride and Buzglyd, at least they are mostly taxpayers. The Trans Dept official is an unelected bureaucrat and below a counter clerk at Macdonalds on the scale of worth to society. He should just shutthefockup.

#18 ·
The Freedom of Road Riders here in MO is similar to Abate in some of the other states. It is not a strictly Harley crowd, but open to any brand of bike. I've been on a few of their poker runs and they draw all sorts, even sportbike riders. One of the nice things about FORR is they tend to be working class folk. People who believe in motorcycling, not lawyers who bought a bike 'cause it's trendy. A lot of the people can't afford Harleys, or don't want Harleys, and nobody looks down on 'em.

Give it up to the governor on this one. The capital in Missouri is in the middle of the state, a couple hours drive from St Louis or Kansas City. Anybody riding out in 80+ degree heat with our typical 85% humidity is going to be a bit riper than somebody who takes the same trip in their volvo with multi-zone climate control.

I gotta love how even on this site of dedicated motorcyclist people assume that the only people who want helmet laws repealed are yuppie harley riders. You'd think we'd be beyond stereotypes like that.......

#24 ·
Are You Sure it's BO?

My favorite Harley biker smell is the one you get when they put on those nice, shiny, loud pipes and forget about the induction part of the internal combustion process.

I swear, there are times when I’m going down a long hill that I can pick up the scent of a pack of lawyer-yuppies that are ten minutes ahead of me.

#25 ·
Re: Are You Sure it's BO?

What? The sweet-smell of exhaust valves roasting over an open fire?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.