Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Hey guys, great review.

I really like the new Night Rod too. Maybe a best of both worlds between the two. The wine/black color in Motor Cyclist looks damn fine.

Then you consider the K1200R looks like a "light" alternative with a bunch of techno goodies for a grand less.

What a terrible time to redo a backyard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What's with the V-Rod anyways

Is it just me or does it seem like Harley is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this series of bike. The performance is wasted on a cruiser, and the cruiser buyers don't seem to want it.

The Street rod looks like a commitee decision on how best to use existing resources to try to make something that isn't profitable, profitable. It looks like a cruiser that's been raised up, and some rearsets tacked on.

Buell is where this technology should have gone, but Buell isn't Harley.

I think Harley is going to need something else with the V-Rod engine in it.

I just don't see the point of the V-Rod. Nice bike, but unfocused, and over priced.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I second the vote for the Night-Rod!

Awesome review guys, great reading it. I like this type of in-depth comparison with different viewpoints, thanks for the effort. Though I'm sure you had quite a bit of enjoyment completeing the task!!

From what you had to say, sound like something in the middle is indeed approching the perfect HD-Rod. Is the Night-Rod a good comprismise? Someone whose seen all three?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
"Chicago riding doesn't really include many of those scenic roads and racetrack corners. It's more about seeing and being seen in the Windy City. "

Does this mean that the average 120 miles/weekend that KPaul does on the curvy winding roads of the Pacific NW equal 12,000 miles of longrides Chicago poser boulevards.. Anytime you want to race big guy let me know. I'll let you use your Busa even... Sport Bike Pilot knows the roads I ride on... Now Now I am just kidding you.. longride I know you could smoke me....

Great honest review you guys-worth at least 50% of the MO subscription rate. You answered all of my questions. Good work! Thanks and yes I am jealous

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: What's with the V-Rod anyways

Seems to me to be very focused, causing a limited market. It is the only HD that has caught my eye enough to consider ownership. (Eventually, that is. Lottery, anyone?)

I believe (my out-take, of course) the whole point was to be different than everything else they currently were marketing. It seems that the dragster look has devolped a market, al-be-it small, since there are a couple companies that have the style now.

Over priced? Isn't that the definition of Harley-Davidson?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Excellent Points. Especially about the Street Rod. As longride said it doesn't have the bling factor of the V-Rod.... Maybe Harley will make a tourer/dresser next using this platform.. I agree with you about Buell is where the new engine tech should go. You have to grow the next gen of Harley riders from the Buell riders of today IMHO... Good post fireworks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great Job, guys!

I haven't ridden either bike, but I enjoyed what is a nice, comprehensive, and fairly unvarnished review.

It's nice to see Harley build a rational, rideable bike...with unique character.

·
Registered
77 Posts
An observation from the President (of MOFPC)

Perhaps I should launch the JMMOFPC (Just Missed MO First Post Club). There seems to be a growing potential membership.

The thing that really gits ya is that the other guy is achieving First Post status while you're still typing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I loved riding the Street Rod on a demo ride so I bought one. It is one of the best all-around motorcycles I have ever owned. It can do a slow relaxing cruise or a spirited sport ride with equal talent. I no longer have to go home and switch motorcycles when I want to change riding styles.

Alan

·
Registered
323 Posts

Hey Harley finally sells a bike with balls right out of the box. Is that bad? You would rather pay Harley taxes to turn a sloppy 88 into something that can get out of it's own way? The price is about 40% too high, but if you buy an HD you should expect to get raped. At least with this one when you twist the throttle something happens!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.