Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Gabe's Speculation...

"off-road motorcycle ...designed for closed course competition" could mean two things, I think. One could be a moto-crosser, and another could be a supermoto or SuperTT bike. The second seems more likely, given Erik Buell's interest in the sport.

I saw a Buell SuperTT bike at Peoria whilst riding with Longride and EvoDon last year, so that even makes more sense to me. But this was a privateer effort, and they didn't win.

To win -- and why build the bikes if they don't want to win? -- they will need either a n all-new, liquid-cooled motor that they design or have built for them. H-D built a few hundred dual-purpose bikes with Rotax motors for the Royal Army in the 1990s, so we know they have the engineering prowess to build the chassis and source engines.

From there, it's anyone's guess what form these bikes will take. What's important to remember is you heard about it on MO first!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Harsh- most the XB line weighs in at sub 400 lbs. Don't you think that Buell can produce a 300 lb dual purpose single? Wonder who they are going to get the motor from?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Gabe's Speculation...

Rotax's BMW single make a respectible 52 hp. Bet Rotax could build a fine 450 w the same output. Buell build one heck of a frame. Imagine that idea slimmed down for "play duty".

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Gabe's Speculation...

"To win -- and why build the bikes if they don't want to win? -- they will need either a n all-new, liquid-cooled motor that they design or have built for them"

I hope you are right.. I guess I am skeptical since they put a bike in AMA Formula Extreme that can't even complete a race let alone compete...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Mike's back is broke right now. Maybe Twitch can sub for him.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Good job Pete..It's cool when a web site or a magazine goes after a story from reader feedback..

Thanks..

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Check this out!

Pretty trick! Ha! Guy has talent. Wonder what he'd do with the Buell XB9City?

·
Registered
94 Posts
And of course H-D will petition the AMA for a special exemption or change to existing rules and/or class structures to make it competitive, and the AMA will bend over for them as they always do, and then the bike won't be competitive anyway.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Check this out!

Wow crazy.. Ok I take back all of those bad things I said bout Sportsters..."It ain't the tool" :) Impressive...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.