Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoyable article...hard to make helmets a fun topic but you did it. I didnt know Fullmer still made helmets....the chrome strip trimmed Arthur Fullmer 3/4 helmet(in sparkle paint of course) was the helmet to have in the 70's. I had to settle for the 10 buck special bought at the local 5 and Dime but several of my more affluent(defined as having steady jobs) friends had Fullmers ......course their bikes usually actually ran too!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd never heard of Fulmer until now. For the price it looks like a nice helmet. If the venting works even just so-so, aerodynamics are adequate, and it doesn't weigh over 3.8 lbs I'd be interested in one, just not as my main helmet. I have a hard time believing it would surpass my Shoei RF-1000 for comfort, noise reduction, venting, and function (i.e. visor removal, peripheral vision, venting that actually works, etc.)

I've never considered wild graphics up my alley for an everyday helmet. You pay out the arse for graphics on helmets and my like and dislike for graphics comes and goes. Plus, the graphics on inexpensive helmets usually look pretty...well...inexpensive. The AFS7 though looks pretty good. At $135 I might be willing to buy it and have some fun with the look.

Suomy makes the most kick butt graphics that I’ve seen on helmets to date. But I’m not at the point where I’m willing to drop five bills on a helmet (after looking at Suomy’s website I’m not sure if it’s the graphics I’d be paying for or for the cost to develop that site).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Difficult to compare; lots of options....however, I think a good lid is money well spent. I bought a new street lid (Shoei) and super-moto Arai (XD) last year with great results....local dealers have sales, over-stocks, etc so you don't have to pay MSRP....and when I needed different inserts both manufacturers were a pleasure to work with and shipped them to me at no cost.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like you ripped this off in an afternoon. Come on: You need to do the review again with a wider variety of popular helmets - and with reporting that's easier to evaluate. First, what makes a good helmet? for example,Safety (first, of course), quality of finish, comfort, airflow, weight, sound suppression.... or whatever you, as experts, want to list. THen give us a chart with, if not a rating, a short sentence or two on how this helmet performs. That would have been really helpful.

As is is, nice little puff piece. You can do better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Both excellent choices. After probably 15 years of Shoei RF series, I switched to an Arai last spring and love it. My favorite helmet to date.

(Whichever you pick, the really important thing is that you line the inside w/ aluminum foil to keep the Bushies from reading your brain waves! ;)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Man!

I've looked throught the article five times. Which one of the pictures is it where EBass isn't actually wearing a helmet, but simply painted his head?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I had one of the BMW System flip front helmets when I rode BMW's. I really liked it at the time. Now that I've been using a RF900 Shoei for a while I like it much better. I think the biggest difference in low end vs. higher end helmets is in venting, noise levels and comfort. As long as it passes DOT or BSI it's going to protect your bean.

I like the way Arai's fit and I like their graphics so I'll probably get a Quantum next. Price within reason isn't really an issue with me when it comes to protecting my self, I'm more interested in style and comfort. A Shark or Suomy or a Roof Boxer would be cool, but I don't know how well they fit and I'd have to buy them from a Brit. dealer online and hope for the best.

Still, image is everything..........

·
Registered
458 Posts
Snell, not DOT...

Snell actually tests things, while DOT will allow you to put their sticker on a Yamulka, the only issue being the Goverment will just fine you for it if they find out about it's being made from cardboard and used bubblegum...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great job duuuuude. I miss ya manny. Also major kudos for giving props to lids you don't have to take out a HELOC to purchase - which often actually do the job just fine. Even noise, venting and comfort (heretofore the chief "advantages" to zillion dollar fiberglass head tattoos) are getting much better.

-sbp

·
Registered
955 Posts
Marvin the Martian, calling Earth...Marvin the Martian, calling Earth...Come in: Mo..

WhewWee! Mama would ya look it-that...sorta goofy lookin, ain't they!

Ya gotta admit, when it comes to lookin silly, the Harley-guys always cross the line in first, but if this keeps-up pretty-soon it's gonna be Photo-Finish with Place & Show, and us squid-kids will-be Stretchin for-the Tape!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Lookin’ for talent, since Ebass left? Hey, Sean! Make me an offer…

I can write…iff’n I says-So ma’self (and, I’m-a doan-even hafta use-a ma-hands) of course, it could be said that I have an ever-so-slight tendency to be verbose, obscure, quixotic, esoteric and colloquial…but, Pardner, that’s just me stootin’ first-n-askin questions later…and, mine schpeeking-through’da-hat, vats on mine noggin…Oye!

Give the word (your, Damn-Well-say-So) and I’d bet (wager / speculate / think-as-much / give ya a dollar to a donut) that I could show (display / exhibit / make-known/ give an A$$-Kicking example of) what a can do…but my friend I, am to be ever so sorry to say that I can not speak...7-11... to you.

$hit! The West Coast’s gotta be better-than North West Pennsylvania even-if I gotta Kiss-some-A$$ and-wash an occasional bike and I’d be willing to relocate if I didn’t have to take-it-up-the-butt to-much and you’d be willing to pay me a decent wage after-all I can write in my sleep though I ride like I’m inna Coma but who really cares because it ain’t like any-of-us are gonna win the Pulizer and sure-as-Hell ain’t any-of-us gonna be on the MotoGP circuit next year!

Somebody! Please! Get me out of North West Pennsylvania!

But, I'd rather be here than Texas!

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree. On the flip-up helmet, could you at least detail the closure mechanism? Motorcycle Consumer News did a flip-up comparo a year ago and went into some detail on the flip-up attachment system - metal, plastic, cheap, durable, etc. Based on this review, all I can say is that ebass had best keep the lid flipped down. Actually, most people look like dorks with the front flipped up, but those damn things are convenient for those of us who wear glasses.

Also, I recently picked up a Suomy Spec-1 for track use and it's really really nice. As good as an Arai, but I was able to get it at an awesome price. If I had to pay retail, it would be a hard decision between an Arai and the Suomy.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My only problem a with full-face helmet is peripheral vision. Mine's pretty good, and I've come to rely on it, a lot. When my p-vision is blocked by blocked, I feel like I'm partially blind.

Loss of hearing is also a problem, in a full-face Helmet. So I've thinking about a larger wind-windscreen (to block debris and the wind) and a really-good half helmet...and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Do not hate me because I am beautiful

I owe it to the women of the world to maintain my Adonis-like profile for as long as possible so anything less than full face protection just isn't going to make it.

I can see where it might not matter to some of our less impressively visaged brethren to subject their mugs to the vagueries of sun wind and tarmac. but my rugged handsomeness is a gift for all women and not one I take lightly...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.