Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first post.

Nice, original story. Good questions. I'm suprised they didn't answer the personal saftey ones about the helmet choice and leathers for the officers. Seems I would want some armor or something. I wonder what the PR guys would say if you called them up and got one on the phone.

--Foxy

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Austin, Texas, I have noticed many of the motor cops now using modular helmets which allows them to expose their face during a stop instead of appearing like Darth Vader.

Also, it seems makers of hot weather jackets (e.g. Joe Rocket Phoenix) should be falling all over themselves to sell to CHP and other authority motorcycle groups that operate in hot climates.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I once had a conversation with a motor officer here in San Diego shortly after I ran over a rock the size of a honeydew melon on my H-D Low Rider ( I didn't crash. I just stood on the pegs and jumped it like a dirtbike. It bent both of my rims).

He related a story to me about once running over a roll of carpet that had fallen off a truck!

I would think encountering obstacles would have to be a serious part of their training.

Good job boys.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had a long talk with a CHP about the protection thing. he says the CHP brass are not interested basically because Public Image is more important than officer safety. Translated through my brain, it's more important to look like Village Person than to exercise routine common sense.

Basically just like most govt. agencies in the state. correctiion, in the country. correction, in most countries.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had a long talk with a CHP about the protection thing. he says the CHP brass are not interested basically because Public Image is more important than officer safety. Translated through my brain, it's more important to look like Village Person than to exercise routine common sense.

Basically just like most govt. agencies in the state. correctiion, in the country. correction, in most countries.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Love the story

Great story guys. Lots of good questions. I have a lot of respect for these guys. When I got my first ticket on my bike it was easier to swallow when it came from a motorcycle officer (King County Sheriff). The guy was polite, professional, friendly and gave me a break on the ticket. Always make sure when stopped to take off your helmet first. This lets em know you aren't going to bolt. Make sure to say Yes Sir No Sir Thankyou sir.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
In 1981 I was trying to stay out of the evening chill by drafting a big rig on I 5 through camp Pendleton,when a large cement sack appeared from under the rear axel of the truck. I didn't have the time to stand up on the old CB750 and did a pretty good flying squirrel inpersonation while hanging on to the handlebars, afterwhich a little more caution has been the order of the day. VWW

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great article and another example of why I gladly pay to read Motorcycle.com.

My hat(helmet) off to the CHP and all of the Motor Officers across the country for doing a difficullt and necessary job that is not always appreciated.

The article also contained some important safety tips that we can all put to use.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can't blame the CHP for not wanting a young cop to answer policy questions.

How about a tell all interview with a retired motorcycle cop?

What do the European motorcycle cops wear for safety and warmth?

How about a photo contest for the best reader sent-in cop bike photo?

·
Registered
51 Posts
One reason I check in with you every day is that we share a similar sense of humor. I'll be reading along and "Pop!" you sneak one in, kind of like burping after eating tuna & broccoli.

In this case I liked your line that you "assured the officer that you weren't from an irreputable publication like "High Times" or "Motorcyclist". Made me laugh. Good one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A few months ago I saw a Portland motorcycle cop take a mug out of his cupholder at about 45 mph and take a nice long drink...is this the real reason for the open face helmet?

Also, why doesn't my MotoGuzzi have cupholders?

Oh, and how come motorcycle cops never wave back?

·
Registered
113 Posts
No joke...I'll never forget being passed on the right shoulder at 115 mph (at least that was how fast I was going) on the Autobahn. And as you may know, there is no shoulder on the Autobahn...it's basically the white line with maybe an extra inch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.