Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why is it that these numbers are "astounding" on a BMW/R while similar figures posted by a Buell are an indication that the motor is outdated and in need of replacement?

(Yes, I just had to open that can of worms. ;-) )

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations on being first post. Please accept a free membership to MOFPC.

Grum, President, Motorcycle Online First Post Club

PS I too am very keen to see wot the K1200S can do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. I just don't understand why you Yanks are forever knocking HD and Buell. Is it just because they're your own? Why is everything from Germany and Japan considered with such a studious and calculated approach and your own stuff (which I think is great) is dismissed out of hand?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I suppose you have heard of the concept of "context"? BMW numbers are great considering the past BMW twin numbers.

Also O Clueless one...a survey done by BMW MOA - what make was the greatest % of second bike for BMW owners....HD.

I'd buy you a broader brush to paint with, but nobody makes one.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
BMW's are insanely expensive to buy, MUCH fussier & expensive to maintain than the faithful will ever admit.

However the longevity is not a myth - given that BMW's get their expensive, fussy maint reqirements....

I've been there and done that and learned some things. Not a BMW owner now. MAYBE a new gen GS - but a smart BMW buff will wait a few model yrs after an into to let Munich sort out the problems. Takes them EONS longer than the Orientals....

As for the legendary stuff...yes, it is annoying...but remember, they DELIGHT in annoying the unwashed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a handful of the Japanese sport bikes and wanted (needed) something more comfortable for my 6'3" frame. To make a long story short I ended up with a 2003 1150GS and LOVE it....to each his own but it has plenty of power for the street and is funky enough to be different. Trading it in on a 2005 Adventure as we speak.....I can't speak for all dealers, but mine is in a different league.

Chris

·
Registered
137 Posts
Those are respectable numbers, plenty of torque to. I really like the new RT a lot. Strange I guess, since I'm only 27 and ride a Ninja 636. Perhaps I'm maturing now but I find myself looking at different bikes like the BMW RT and ST and well as the GS series. I currently ride about 12,000 miles a year (on a bad year) and I'm sure that would increase with that kind of bike. I just can't get into a HD for a variety of reasons, and it seems that BMW riders are the only real long distance riders I ever see. Strange that HD riders have an elitist attitude and BMW riders do not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoa, there..... BMW riders aren't the only long distance riders anymore...

I ride a Triumph Trophy 900 (sport-tourer), and log close to 10k miles per year. It's my commuter bike, as well as my weekend getaway...

It's hard to find long distance riders anymore, period, regardless of make/model. It's just 'cause there's so many weekend warriors out there that only ride 1 weekend a month, if that... That dilutes the percentages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The tradeoff on buying a first model year from BMW isn't always so clear. Sure, sometimes you get a bike that is not sorted very well. But OTOH sometimes you get a bike with a bit more guts. My '85 K100 had a top end rush that later years lacked (due to a cam change). The '85 needed a lot of retrofits but they cost me nothing and the bike was rock solid and reliable. My '95 R1100RS was a third model year and avoided the seal failures and other problems associated with early model year oilheads. So you pay your money and you take your chances! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe EthanR was pointing out a contradiction towards Buells as opposed to making a critical statement of the BMW's engine performance.

However, EthanR, it's sounds like you misdirected your charge. It's not MO that has said that about a Buell; Buells do well in reviews and shootouts on this site. Some posts in the Reader Feedback will say that but not MO. I'm sure those same posters will find room to criticize the BMW too, to ignorant to realize everyone doesn't want or need 150+ hp, "flickable" 425 lbs bike. And, that a bike making 103 hp, gobbs of torque, runs a stable straight line and is stable in corners, and is **gasp** comfortable just might possibly make a better street bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think that a European cycle mag has already tested it against the Busa and ZX12R. It was pretty close. They posted dyno figures too, I'll see if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.