Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Excellent report guys. Burns, I love your description of that route. I've ridden it many times and I love it because it is such a contrast to the yuppified coast where I live. We are truly blessed to be motorcyclists in SoCal where the diversity of the scenery is awesome.

As a Duc ST owner, I have to agree with you on the seat which is why I ditched the stocker for a Sargent (much better than Corbin IMO) and helibars so my hands would stop falling asleep. The Sargent also has excellent passenger accomodations.

I've lusted after the FJR since they appeared however with the new hog in the garage, I'll be hanging on to the Duc as my ST mount at least until a restyle is available.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Thank you Bob for saying things so much more diplomatically than I ever could. I've got many 500-600 mile days under my belt on my ST4 and have had no problems whatsoever. The Sargent seat and helibars made it all day comfortable.

On a recent trip up to Monterey my friend and I were pulled over near that crazy bridge on highway 1 next to a dozen ST1100 riders who immediately came over to check out the Ducati. I had to sit there and rev the throttle just so they could listen to it. I eased down the road with a wheelie and a wave as I left.

Later at the entrance to the Hearst Castle, a Japanese tourist came running up to me and asked if he could take a picture next to my bike because Ducatis were his favorite. I'm sure that one would have left KP speechless.

I'm a huge admirer of Eagan who I believe recently set a NY to SF record.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Stop! Don't go there!

Please don't ask for any of KPaul's explanations. He knows not of what he speaks. He probably thinks your Aprilia has a vibration problem.

Don't get sucked into any attempt at logical reasoning with him. You've been warned.......

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Re: One thing that's wrong...

I don't mind seeing tests with performance enhancing goodies on the bikes because most of us will add those anyway.

The ST4s is notorious for being geared way too tall (I believe to pass Euro noise regulations). Most owners drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket immediately and the bike really wakes up.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
A dork in true Kpaul fashion

Ha ha ha ha! I was right! You nerds carry magazine statistics in your tank bags.l

Sport-touring riders like myself who are interested in these types of bikes carry MAPS in our tankbags.

Repeat this chant 5 times for good luck....

OWA TADOR KYAM

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Just for fun I rode from San Diego out to Joshua tree National Park and back today and didn't time my quarter mile once!

Of course I was on the geezer glide so it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
The Geezer runs great though still too rich. I have a decision to make regarding that. As you know, I did the H-D download rather than the PC (for some reason my wrench doesn't like the PC, he says he's had too many reliability problems with them).

So, I can either install the RevTech DFO which alters mixture but not timing (my timing has already been adjusted with the H-D download) or just break out the wallet and put the 95 inch jugs on it since H-D's download is for 95" not 88."

Sounds like a fun way to lean out my mixture right? Make it bigger!

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Re: A dork in true Kpaul fashion

I don't want to clutter up the Duc with gadgets. The friend I ride with most often is a Beemer rider and I'm sure he will slowly acquire every gadget under the sun so I'll take advantage of his GPS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.