Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Believe it or not, there ween't that many readers who were interested in the rally. And when the winner was announced at the finish of the rally, we had our heads buried in other things. Partially up our own derriers, admittedly.

Question for the readers, then -- and I'll make the poll accordingly -- how much dirt coverage would you like to see? Just news? Maybe more tests?

Let us know and we will respond accordingly. And thanks for the feedback, y'all.

--Minime

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The preference will vary by reader. Personaly, I would like to see more of EVERYTHING, as long as it's motorcycle related.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's got two wheels and an engine, I want to read about it. Or at least decide whether to skip it or not. Anybody who is into bikes and who reads about what an event like the Dakar entails on two wheels, can't fail to be impressed and probably a little bit interested in the Rally news. There was even an American in it on a BMW this year, which is probably why you mentioned it at all...

If MO had done an in-depth feature in advance on what the sport of Desert Raiding is all about, the kind of heroic loons who do it, the kinds of bikes they ride and maybe an interview with Jimmy Lewis and perhaps a lowly privateer as well before the event started, then you might have found some interest. Lots of people might have been into it - all those people who ride dirt-bikes in the desert in the US, all those BMW R1150GS owners, etc. And MO, you don't have to do the news coverage yourself if you don't want to. Just stick a few links in for people to go to http://www.dakar.com and see for themselves. If you want to add value, go ahead - hook up with Jimmy Lewis or A.N.Other participant and publish a daily email from him or her about the day's racing, like you did with Roland Sands. That would be worth reading! I find BMW press releases looked better when they were fresh on the BMW site than they did two days later on the MO 'news' pages, unless you had something fresh and interesting to add (which I don't think you did). Same goes for the Honda MotoGP press releases. If you can't add editorial value, save yourselves - and us - the bother. Spend the time doing stuff that we can't find better and quicker elsewhere, and just give us links to the other crap.

I'm looking forward to your supersports test, for example.

Just my two penn'orth from across the pond...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.