Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Modified FZ-1 Rader Feedback

It seems as though all of the changes that you have made were purely cosmetic. I am aware that a few pounds were shead with the use of titanium and carbon fibre however, you should have included a pipe and jetting. Dyno tested would be nice. Anybody can bolt on dress up items.

First post!! ( late night...too much coffee...nothing better to do :->)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Let me clarify before you burn me, I know that you tried a few slip on cans however,no comment was made other than it "livened up the motor". How?? More bottom end, top end??? Would re-jetting with that pipe help.

Second post (Still bored...last cup O joe)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

This jsut magnifies my primary complaint with the comparison process. The Bandit is about 1500 Dollars less costly right from the start. HOw do the two bikes compare once the owner throws 1500 dollars worth of upgrades at the Bandit to even out the prices? Does the FZ-1 gain 15hp from the slip on and a jet kit the same way the Bandit does? Throwing money at an already 1500 dollar more expensive bike when the real question has still not been answered, "Which is the better deal, the Bandit or the FZ-1?"

·
Registered
166 Posts

Boring.

Buy an R1 and pull the plastic off or buy an FZ1 and put some on.

The only benefit from this exercise that I can see is that a lower bar works nicely.

How 'bout an old bike hot rodding article or something. This was like adding stickers to your helmet.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Sorry, maybe I'm trying to make the story into something it's not. It was kind of neat to see the Yamaha accessories available for the bike, and get some opinions about them.

·
Registered
39 Posts

this 'the bike that ___________ should have built in the

first place' approach to motojournalizm is getting

boring and too predictable. ever noticed how the

resale value of a bike decreases with the amount of

aftermarket 'improvements' that have been installed?

intstead of putting on an aftermarket pipe whose price

can amount to 10% of the price of the new bike, spend

that money on tires, service at your dealership and

riding schools.

the FZ1 has been recognized as the best naked bike of

the year----don't go d*#king with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where's the shootout???

When are we going to get a good shoot out between the Bandit, FZ1, and yes the motorcycle that you have avoided all togeather: the ZRX1200R?? Almost every print rag has done this already with a unanimous favor towards the FZ1. It is interesting to read the comparo's though, and RIDER magazind did a good shootout where they pointed out the strong charictaristics of each bike. I personally have the ZRX1200R and am one of the few who DO NOT like the look of theFZ1. The performance gap is too narrow to justify the $600 price difference. (Actually $1400 difference, I got the ZRX for $6500)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Bandit to FZ-1 comparison?

I'd like to see the aftermarket Bandit updates compared with the fz-1. From what I've read a new pipe and some jetting can remove 10 or 15 lbs, and up the HP to 150 or so. With the better ergo's and fairing, this would make the Bandit tough to beat ! I sold my YZF600r, and have been riding my 92 Nighthawk 750 waiting to see how this whole 'standard bike' thing plays out. In the spring I will be buying one with cash so I'm very interested in the comparisions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Japanese haulers

Yeah, I know... but awhile back MO and others hinted at Yamaha factory bags. Shoulda known better, the Jap companies seem to have some sort of fear of luggage.

I own 2 Jap bikes, BTW.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Japanese haulers

About the bags (and I'll make a notation in the story):

There's a reason Yamaha/GYT-R isn't offering hard bags for the FZ-1 as they'd talked about all along. Something about the bags causing "handling problems" that people over at Yamaha were rather tight-lipped about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im with you intruderman. I checked out a 2000 model BMW R1100S Special - $1500 of carbon fiber...mainly just for looks; there couldn't have been more than a pound saved over the stock plastic. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Of course... that's a matter of opinion. I don't think it's ugly at all.

I DO, however agree with you on the "Why not buy an R-1" comment, if they're going to put a more uncomfortable seat on it, put the lowering mounts AND the drag bars on it... why? The whole point of the FZ-1 is a comfortable bike. I could see one or the other, but both? Might as well buy an R-1.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.