Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A couple of yrs ago, Kevin Cameron had a most interesting article on that very subject. He postulates that the more efficient the combustion chamber, the more suckological the sound. And vice versa.

I don't recall if crank force vectors were discussed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: I agree

Ahhh, yes! Many of us of a "certain" age had a first car with inline six. While I miss those, I don't miss the 3 on the tree.

A bud of mine just bought a sexy Lexy SC300 just to get that creamy six. Yikes!

·
Registered
295 Posts
V twins inline fours and blonde twins

Actually a 90 degree (or "L") V-twin does a good job of cancelling out its own vibration, even without counter balancers. Those "big" cylinders create gobs of torque. Point one cylinder toward the front tire, then rotate it until it is almost horizontal and you solve most of the cooling problems and get a very low center of gravity. It is an inherently excellent design. Check out anything that Ducati makes or the Suzuki SV or DL series bikes. That's why v-twins still exist.

Francis

P.S. As already noted, the Boxer engine and vertical twin are both twins, but not v-twins. Also, as noted by a certain comedian, the secret to enlightenment is fourteen year old blonde twins.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Not buying one on the cheap from a reliable source was one of the dumber things I ever did. Nope, only a Chevy II.

And to think I missed out on the dashboard pushbutton tranny.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

As usual, I reply too quickly...my riding buddy - he of the chickbike Magna - bought a used SC300...

The first week he had it, truck kicked up a rock and just crushed one of those fancy, schmancy headlights. About $700 to replace.

Oh, and his Magna is PURPLE ("Bessarabian Plum") and white ("foamfroth white").

We have had a LOT of fun with that....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: This is why twins won't go away...

...oh so right! I've been trying to choose a new ride now for over a year. My head says inline four...hayabusa, possible sport tourer with mods...very fast not too radical etc...then I hear a Honda RC 51 go by...wow! that sound is intoxicating...more expensive, less power and less versatile...what to do? all because the I-4s seem to buzz me out too much.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts