Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
On this first post I have to give a plug for Lee Park's excellent gloves. I've used a pair since spring and I'm getting ready to order a pair with insulation to get me through these Georgia winters.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent story Lee. Aprilia looks cool and classy i.e. typical Italian fashion.. Thanks for the the interesting review..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is the reference to 'Jim McMahon' as 'Vince McMahon' a joke with a meaning so absurd or under the radar that I just don't get it? The former was a Bears quaterback, the latter is responsible for the horror show known as the WWF.

Other than that, I advocate the scooter coverage.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
With a sub to MCN that goes back to Jan. '93, what a pleasure to see Lee Parks in the saddle again.

I'm not quite ready to get a scooter just yet, but my preconceived notions have been adjusted recently....on Saturday my brother and I were taking a break at that church on the n. side of the Russell Scenic Parkway. Several Sport Touring bikes - FJR, ST13 and GS12 whirred by - being chased by a Burgman 650. Bro and I were more than a bit suprised by the pace.

I think that when I'm finally superannuated, I'll still be able to squeeze in more riding years.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
And I thought that Yamaha was going to be a 15 foot long monster with a Vmax motor...what happened?

Little skinny wheels off a Kymco Chiapet...And I thought the production model sported tail-fins.

I am not impressed. Think I stick with my Heinkel Tourist thank you...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like a Salisbury better with its constant velocity tranny. Or maybe a Powell or Cushman. If you think the suspension was soft, just try a Powell (hard front, REALLY soft rear that bounds up and down). I only like ultra modern stuff.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: Jim vs. Vince

Could've called him "Ed McMahon".

Go on - SEND IT IN!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yeah, the Salsbury had that big chrome bumper deal on the front too..and the torque converter was made by...Salsbury!

We had one at Hollywood Rentals that Cholos would rent all the time...cool eh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's "Jim" McMahon.

I wonder how telling it is that there are none of those "let's see if I can drag my knee" pictures?

We're told the Morphous is to slow for freeways - but what about the Scarabeo? I always wonder why reports on 185mph sport bikes tell you exactly what the top speed is (like it really matters whether it goes 185 or 187) and the 1/4mile time, etc. But when the report is about some low performance bike that you're really worried about whether it can be used on the freeway you get zip in hard data.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Epic is right, did you check out the porportions on that Yamaha? Looks like a '59 Buick with a bad rash...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own an 04 Scarabeo 500 and often ride the highways with it. I'm 5'11" and 190 and the seat is extremely comfortable and I've done many 300 + miles on it with no discomfort. Suspension is extremely good and absorbs potholes with ease so I was surprised by his comments about the suspension. I would think adjustments would be in order. I can do 75 mph all day with no problems. Top speed is 95 mph. This is a quick and nimble scoot and handles very nicely. As he indicated, top case is very big and the two panniers are sizeable, as well. Lots of storage for small items is in the front under the handlebars in two different locations. I especially like the 16 inch tires as I find its weight and profile good enough to handle the dreaded semi which can do some damage to a smaller scoot. Finally, I get 55 to 60 miles per gallon. the 04 has a 5.3 gallon tank so I'm good for many a mile. There is something about the automatic "twist and go" that's so fun. I use it for all my local trips.

I also have an 06 BMW 1200 RT and frankly, as much as I love the Beemer, this scooter creates much more conversation whenever I take it out.

Bruce

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Morpheus sorta looks like a modernized Honda Helix.

Still waiting to see Yamaha Tmax 500 over here. Has been around for about five years now. You'd think that Yam would have brought it over by now.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.