Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
In the meantime, the local Suzuki dealer has turned out to be filled with pathological liars. First they said they had two DL1000's. Pick your color, Mr. Moore, blue or back. They took my deposit and then announced that they really only had a blue one in Tampa, about 4 hours away. Then they told me their guy was on his way with the truck to get it. By happenstance, the store manager walked up and started yelling at the saleshole in front of me about how in the hell he planned to get the bike across the state. Guess he didn't realize I was the buyer. Now they're making up more lies about the delivery. I have to believe that if someday, someone opens a business selling cars and/or motorcycles and/or boats in an honest, open, straightforward manner, Rod Serling will rise from the grave and do a new episode of "The Twilight Zone."
Man, screw all that crap. I'd demand my money back and travel the four hours myself. People who eff around with me sure as hell don't get paid for it.... at least not be me ...
<.<
>.>

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Man, screw all that crap. I'd demand my money back and travel the four hours myself. People who eff around with me sure as hell don't get paid for it.... at least not be me ...
<.<
>.>
It's even better...I left out part: A guy a Stromtroopers.com suggested I contact a dealer in DeLand, which is a small town in the middle of the state; about 4 hours away. The saleshole says yes, we have a BRAND NEW DL1000 for $600 less than the price the local guys quoted AND it has a Corbin seat and backrest, another $600 value! Wow, that's got to be great, right? So I told him to fax me a buyer's order with the VIN and stuff, and I'll see about getting a ride up there this weekend to buy it. The buyer's order comes and I swear it says:

"THIS IS A BRAND NEW, NEVER TITLED MOTORCYCLE WITH FULL SUZUKI WARRANTY. VIN #XXXXX MILEAGE 3,078"

A "BRAND NEW" motorcycle with over THREE THOUSAND MILES???? Frickin amazing. I almost went all the way there to get my "new" bike...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Wow. I am amazed how guys like that stay in business. My local Suzuki dealer has a very small shop, but he has stayed in business for many years by being an honest, outstanding guy.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
It's even better...I left out part: A guy a Stromtroopers.com suggested I contact a dealer in DeLand, which is a small town in the middle of the state; about 4 hours away. The saleshole says yes, we have a BRAND NEW DL1000 for $600 less than the price the local guys quoted AND it has a Corbin seat and backrest, another $600 value! Wow, that's got to be great, right? So I told him to fax me a buyer's order with the VIN and stuff, and I'll see about getting a ride up there this weekend to buy it. The buyer's order comes and I swear it says:

"THIS IS A BRAND NEW, NEVER TITLED MOTORCYCLE WITH FULL SUZUKI WARRANTY. VIN #XXXXX MILEAGE 3,078"

A "BRAND NEW" motorcycle with over THREE THOUSAND MILES???? Frickin amazing. I almost went all the way there to get my "new" bike...
I consider myself lucky to have a couple of decent Big4 dealers locally. The Salt Lake Ducati guys are pretty decent. However the lone BMW, Triumph, KTM place is run by a load of pr1cks and that's the one thing that's made me reluctant to buy a Triumph. They charge a 10% surcharge on all parts ... in a addition to the usual 100% markup. They are such jerks that some local Beemer owners travel to Colorado to buy their new bikes.

What can you do? Most bike shops are just as lousy as auto dealers. You either gotta bite the bullet or forget owning one at all.

Oh, BTW. Did the guy in central Florida have a clean title in hand?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
I'd go with the Shell Rotella T full syn 0-40 myself, if it'll work for 150k in turbo big rigs it ought to be enough to get the title and any other paperwork well and truly up the guys ass. Plus it's only $15. a gallon at Wally*World.

Most likely what the guy was selling was a demo. I rode one a couple of years ago with the Corbin seat, higher windshield and three bag Givi set-up, it was a pretty sweet bike and high up my I want one list. That said the guy should have come clean and said an untitled demo sold as new with a full warranty..

I'm pretty lucky here, there's only one dealership in Seattle that I'd push my bike past rather than take free gas off them, the rest in the Puget Sound area are pretty straight up. The local HD dealer that was a family operation for years got bought by an empire builder and went to sh*t but there's a couple more that are OK and a couple of really good independent shops, so between them and the inter-web I don't need to deal with them anyway.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Me too. It's hard to believe it's so frikin hard to buy a motorcycle when you're standing there with "CLEAN CASH IN HAND."
I guess I was pretty lucky recently. I just bought an 07 Triumph Bonneville T100 from Performance Powersports of Chattanooga Chattanooga Tenessee Polaris Triumph Victory Motorcycle ATV Utility Vehicle Dealer Used Parts Accessories and had a good experience with them. Everything was done online with a phone call to confirm everything. The price was about a thousand lower than anywhere else due to the fact that they didn't charge for freight, setup or title. 07's and earlier leftovers are marked down pretty good as well. Because I got it at such a good price I just had to get the extra stuff for it; British Custom pipes, airbox eliminator kit, carbs rejetted and a shop manual. I arranged to pick it up first thing on a Saturday morning and when I arrived it and the paperwork were ready to go. I would definately deal with these guys again. If you live in the south and are interested in a new Triumph or Victory check these guys out. Ask for Mike.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
are you the original owner? how many miles are on your cash and why do you want to spend it?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ken,

Tell the guy in DeLand to throw in a pair of slip-ons or a new set of tires, or maybe a centerstand and he's got a deal!

It's been mentioned before, but with a demo you get a full warranty and a bike that's been shaken out. 'Course, 3500 miles is a bit much. Heck, the stock rubber is probably half-gone.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
A "bit much"? There are 7 year old "used" bikes on craiglist with fewer miles. And the bastard should take off more than 600 bucks. Make it 1500-2000.

Several years ago I nearly bought a 2 year old Trophy for 2500 less than MSRP and it only had 300 miles on it. Salesholes were still in the ultra prick category and I walked away from it.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts