Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
What this all means

All of the recent events are just laying the ground work for what we'll look back upon in 10 years when people are wondering what killed motocross racing in the US.

Seriously, this bickering almost seems designed to make fans confused and disinterested, while keeping any company involved from making a real profit. Can you tell I'm not happy with this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
That one side is getting Tony George involved could be a death knell to motocross racing. This is the same twit who single handedly turned the Indianapolis 500 from the premire racing event in the world to a minor sideshow and caused the IRL/Cart split that so damaged open wheel racing that they have to pay to get television coverage. The Coca Cola 600, run the same day, gets far more viewers. If Tony Stewart hadn't been trying to run a double this past year, no one would have cared about Indy. Sad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The series is doomed. Thanks, AMA. Once again you have managed to completely screw things up.

How long before they totally ruin roadracing as well?

I am not an AMA member because they consistantly HARM the sport, not help it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This whole issue makes me so pissed that I can't even think straight...problem is, I do not know who I should be supporting?!?!?!?

This sport was definitely heading in the right direction...now I am wondering what will happen.

But here is the big question... What will the factories do? If all the big boys stick together and make a decision to whom they should be loyal, I would think that the other promoter is completely screwed. I am not an industry insider, but it seems to me that this whole issue lies in the hands of the factory teams now.

Does anyone else see it this way????

- J

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure how accurate this is, but I've heard that Clear Channel has gotten commitments from a majority of stadiums and other venues where Supercross is held, and has every intention of continuing without the AMA. The print edition of Cycle News has been covering it. It's taken this long for Jam/AMA to get ahold of one venue, while Clear Channel apparently has locked down at least 6 stadiums.

Personally, I'm no fan of AMA Pro racing. They should stick to politics, and stay the ---- out of racing. The only demonstrated ability they have race-wise is to screw riders, teams, and fans over with their incessant bickering and politics.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The AMA definitely has issues to deal with, but aleast they have motorcycles on their minds. Clear Channel is only looking at dollar signs. Yup, open wheeled is a pretty nice model. What do you go with, incompetence or those only concerned with profit?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know all the details behind Clear Channel, but honestly... the series was doing pretty well WITH them, and largely because CC -is- very good at turning a profit. That's not bad, nor a crime in this country. So, to me, the AMA is quite clearly the 'evil/stupid one' here. CC is doing what any company would do when pushed like this, IMHO.. they're fighting back. Unless and until I hear some kind of evil/dirty details on CC, I'm backing them b/c they, to me-- at this time, seem to be the ones that were about to get screwed over by the AMA.

I am not so sure the AMA -really- does that much for motorcyclists. It seems to me that a lot of the issues in current political circles are being -lost- by the AMA... the off-road access stuff... jacking with bike regulations when there are CLEARLY more eggregious violators that could be dealt with first instead of token gestures... and more that I don't have time/space to get into. I think the AMA likes to -play- at being "motorcycle-centric" but they seem to fail at it every time it counts.

RoadRacingWorld did a good bit of coverage of this whole shakedown... it seems to largely follow the Edmonson fiasco, the AMA is screwing up again and the lawsuits will cost all of it's members.

-James

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep, you're right on; the factories are going to wind up affecting this quite a bit. At least two of them (I want to say Kawi + Suzi.. don't quote me though) have memebers on the AMA board or someplace. It should be interesting to see how they vote. We could wind up with two companies in AMA SX and the rest in CC-SX ..or whatever they'll call it.. I think the term 'SuperCross' is owned by someone.. one of the combatants will be denied the rights to use it, no doubt.

No good can come of a two-series situation... -just- like someone else pointed out with the CART/IRL garbage.

-James

·
Registered
10 Posts
AMA is not the only culprit

If you check the sequence of events, you will find that Clear Channel was wedging the AMA out of Supercross racing. First they set up exclusive contracts with various race venues in major locations and then they can dictate everything else associated with them.

I'm not a big fan of the AMA either (they have a talent for screwing things up) but CC left them with little choice if they wanted to stay in racing.

CC has a history of grabbing up as many radio stations in area as they can (8 in my area), then producing concerts, and refusing to promote anybody else's concerts, thus forcing most artists to bow to their demands and go with CC's production companies if they want any attendance.

They could do the same with the Supercross teams.

There's a good series of articles about Clear Channel at

www.salon.com/ent/clear_channel

I'm not sure if CC is going to be good for the sport in the long run.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: AMA is not the only culprit

Interesting reading... Hmmm. So, what are we left with here; two dirty birds and a bird-bath full of mud. What a sorry sight.

Time to scrap it all and start over w/a new series/sanctioning body! Argh!.. no, that won't work. I like the whole 'Take back the AMA' initiative happening on the road-racing side of things. They're trying to get some racers who actually care into the management... Kevin

Schwantz being one of them! Cool!

-James

·
Registered
89 Posts
Take back the AMA...

... is probably the most pragmatic strategy, at least from an overall perspective. This split series concept is apparently a thinly veiled "divide and conquer" tactic, whose roots emenate from a fetid morass of greed...all hail the god "profit"..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: AMA is not the only culprit

'Take back the AMA'

Not a bad idea. Take a non profit organization whose charter is supposed to be for the betterment of the sport and get some people involved in the management of racing who actually understand racing and are willing to listen to the competitors about their concerns (especially safety). Then act on them. They could then actually promote the races and hopefully get a larger attendance at the various events. Once the numbers they can begin to get the tracks (Daytona) to be a bit more Press Friendly for something other than NASCAR.

You're right,Schwantz would be cool.

·
Registered
730 Posts
of course Clearchannel locked down 6 stadiums already...

Of course ClearChannel locked down 6 stadiums already...they just said, 'Run Supercross, or we don't run any concerts with you'. Easiest thing in the world to do.

What can the AMA hold over the stadiums' heads? Nothing. That's why they'll lose, and that sucks.

--Foxy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.