Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's the noise, stupid!

I'll bet a dollar to the hole in a donut that 90% of those Palomar & Angels Crest residents wouldn't even know about the speeding motorcycles if they couldn't hear them.

Low profile is the key to successful speeding. Unfortunately, many of our fellow motorcyclists are all about high profile. Loud pipes, lotsa' chrome, bright colors. They do the boy-racer thing for a few years, tire of it , then leave the mess to the lifelong riders. Some re-enter after their kids go off to college, now morphed from boy-racers to GPTB poseur, but still all about high profile and noise. Darn shame that more of them don't die while ruining it for the rest of us.

I live in the most crowded state in the union, but at 6:00 on Sunday morning, I have the best roads to myself. I ride as fast as I want, but there's no way I'm gonna' wake up the good citizens of Connecticut with loud pipes or ruin their morning church services with a full throttle fly-by. That's just plain rude!

It's up to the lifelong riders to be the adult supervision here and explain this situation to the costume party crowd down at Marcus Dairy.

Not that it will do any good…….

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh ye of little faith. I expect the govt to do as excellent a job of eliminating speeders as they have eliminating poverty. Hey wait a second.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an avid motorcyclist for the last 40 years 700,000 miles the whine of 4 cylinder bikes is the main culprit. If motorcyclists wou refrain from buying htese overpowered noisemakers we would all ride a lot our favorite roads with a lot less law enforcement patroling them. You don't need more than 70 hp to ride roads that require skill. I ride and SV650 and a Pacific Coast, both stock exhausts. I live on Hwy 58 and on the SV almost all objects are in the receading in the rearview mirror. You just don't need power and noise to go fast. Buy a midsized twin and learn to use it.

Zak

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've never ridden either of these roads and probably never will, since I live in Pa. In any event, it should be common logic everywhere that acting like a clown gets you noticed. And, as for policing our own rank, what ranks? We don't have any!

·
Registered
57 Posts
absolutely right zak...i just cringed when an acquaintance told me that his first modification to his new GSXR1000 K5 will be a set of louder pipes...these wannabe morons will ruin it for the rest of us motorcyclists...i dont blame the citizens or law enforcement officials...loud noises that overwhelm the senses are obnoxious regardless of their origin...so thanks all you selfish egghead bikers for ruining it for the rest of us

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Good point. I met a guy recently who rides everywhere with his wife and luggage on his bike. They recently rode from Salt Lake to Seattle and down to Frisco and back. He loves his bike. He says its got plenty of power two-up. What is it? A 650 V-Strom. He likes the reduced weight compared to the V-Strom 1000 he traded it for. Food for thought.

·
Registered
878 Posts
While your advice is probably right on those roads (though the SV requires suspension upgrades to make it acceptable for performance riding) some of us don't have the money to own two or three bikes. Many of us who want a K5 gixxer to ride on the track will have to ride it on the road too because we don't have anything else.

In the interests of full disclosure, my streetbike is an R1 and my racebike is an SV. I wanted to start racing in a less intimidating class but the R1's torquey thrust is great fun on the street or at trackdays.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Though I've never been to the Angeles Crest, or Mulholland canyon roads, or almost anywhere in LA aside from Disneyland and the 405 going to Fresno, I've read a lot about those roads here

www.mulhollandraceway.org

for those that are interested. Lots of info, maps, news, biased to the car driving perspective of course, but still interesting.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Though I've never been to the Angeles Crest, or Mulholland canyon roads, or almost anywhere in LA aside from Disneyland and the 405 going to Fresno, I've read a lot about those roads here

www.mulhollandraceway.org

for those that are interested. Lots of info, maps, news, biased to the car driving perspective of course, but still interesting.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.