Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jeez man, I'm glad you're ok!

I've had the same thing happen to me when morons ahead of me HAD to slow down and rubberneck at an accident... I WAS watching my mirrors (I don't always remember to, but I was that time), saw him coming, with his head completely turned to the right, looking at the accident, and I escaped by splitting lanes between the rubberneckers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Of course to the SUV driver...

You were an irresponsible motorcyclist that blew past earlier and now was sitting (nearly stopped) in the fast lane. They never saw the little pup (probably) so all the blame goes to you. At least that'll be the story around the water cooler.

I've noticed that most drivers/motorcyclists want to blame other drivers/motorcyclists for being stupid, even though you almost never know the full details of what happened. Ah well.

Still the reminder to be ever vigilant is a good one and I'll remember it as I sneak out early (my SV is calling to me).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Of course to the SUV driver...

Lowrez, you're right about the water-cooler talk. That'd probably be the driver's take on the situation. This is especially amazing considering that all the traffic had slowed, causing a bit of a back-up, and that in the driver's mind it was me who would have been irresponsible for slowing down and riding appropriately for the currounding conditions.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Of course to the SUV driver...

Of course... who cares, it was just a cage driver, and in an SUV at that. I'd put good money down that the SUV was immaculate, not a dent, brush scratch or speck of mud on it anywhere... Just a big station wagon that gets awful mileage and doesn't handle. A 4 wheel drive minivan status-symbol. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good point... be aware what ever you drive. I was in my cage this last weekend (broke 2nd gear so the bikes layed up a while) when two cars ahead, I saw a guy slow and stop appropriately to turn left off the road we were on (a 40km/h (that's about 25mph) road none the less). The car ahead of me must have been snoozing... no accident, no other distractions - don't think I can even blame cell phones on this one - as they plowed right into the guy turning left.

These are the people we must contend with on the road.

Thanks for the wake up call minime!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar happen on Saturday. I was crusing along a 50MPH Minnesota country road and saw a family of geese getting ready to cross. I checked my mirror and saw a vehicle that was following a good distance back. I slowed down easy (tapping the brake and downshifting), and was giving the geese time to clear my lane (Moving single file, they took up about a lane and a half). Suddenly I heard squealing tires and looked in my mirror to see an SUV traveling sideways. I nailed it and aimed for a small gap between the last goose and the shoulder. After passing the goose, I checked the mirror again and saw an SUV with two wheels off the pavement (who says SUV's don't see a lot of offroad use :) )

·
Registered
15 Posts
backup a minute

If you are familiar with the traffic code-it is always the person in the rear who is at fault in a collision. They are responsible for where they are going, no matter what is happening in front of them. As motorcyclists we just have to be more aware of what is happening behind us, that is the point. If you don't you could wind up dead right. It is a good point.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have one for you...

This afternoon, I was in my car waiting to turn right from a traffic signal (I was waiting for some daylight to make my turn). This is the intersection of two two-lane roads (one each way).

I saw an SUV and a U-H-E-double-hockey-sticks truck approaching from the left. They both had on their turn signals and were decelerating. Cool. So I let the engine rev up a bit, took a look to the RIGHT (where I was going to go after I pulled out), and then took one more look to the left. I'm glad I looked when I did. Hiding in the shadow/blind spot of that U-Haul truck was a chick on a sportbike. The only way I knew she was there was that she pulled up alongside the U-Haul as it approached the intersection. I waited and let her go on by, and then merged in behind her. If I HADN'T spared that extra look, I wouldn't have seen her...at all...she pulled up and then disappeared behind the truck body again.

Please guys, if you're ever approaching an intersection behind larger vehicles, be a little more careful and think farther ahead than she did! That could have been messy! :(!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being on the other Coast where lane splitting is illegal and Being in Atlanta where I swear they sell drivers licences to anyone with the cash (forget skill) I can say I've had a few close calls in my morning commute.

To the point now where if I must apply front brake and slow more then 20mph I also reach up with the left hand and push in the emergency flasher switch and cut to the position right next to a white line....

I'm glad all is well and you avoided the crash. My daily browse wouldnt be complete without this site and this site wouldnt be complete without your input.

But, I've also found that a close call every now and then is a healthy thing....It keeps us on our toes and if you really think about it,it gives us a bit more self confidence. Knowing you have the instincts to manuver yourself out of harms way fast enough shows good fast judgement. (Or,I'm my case I honestly believe I'm just the luckiest som beech on 2 wheels!)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most cagers are in a complete daze when they drive. Every cager should be required to ride a motor bike or push bike at least some of the time. As for the obligatory street riding horror story, not long ago I was following an electricians truck when a large ladder fell off the truck. I was able to dodge the ladder but it was close. I heard recently of another fellow that nearly dodged a roll of carpet that fell off a truck (broke his leg I believe). I wouldn't be suprised to learn that in accidents involving items falling from trucks that the truck driver is seldom charged with any offense. There are many hazzards that one has to watch out for when one rides any kind of bike...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, it rolled, and your sister was driving. Or my Mom, or somebody else's kid. An SUV tipping over frequently kills people. Not really funny, or something you want to see, especially if you've ever been a first responder on a traffic accident where a SUV flipped, killed a brother and sister, and left their spouses alive, 'cause the spouses were riding in the back seat.

I saw a device on T.V. a few months ago that was supposed to be able to interfere with anyone's cell phone call, within a certain radius. I wish I could find out more about this, and mount one to my bike. Maybe then cagers would keep their minds on the road instead of on their phones. I've hung up on my boss before, because he called me from his cell on the road. I said, "I can't participate in distracting you while you drive, call me back when you've stopped your car." CLICK

minime, I'm glad you're o.k. Keep your eyes open guys, but I drive a cage sometimes, and I hope all my biker brethren aren't cheering for me to flip, roll and smear all over the road.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.