Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm just curious here and I'm sure there are stats out there somewhere but I'm more interested in hearing from riders: in your observations, what's the most frequent cause of motorcycle accidents? I'm thinking:

- other drivers (cars) not seeing you
- excessive speed
- rider inexperience
- ummmm...?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
1- rider inexperience
2- rider inexperience
3- rider inexperience
4- rider inexperience
5- other drivers
6- excessive speed (see 1 thru 4 above)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
1: Stupid drivers.
2: Drunk drivers
3: Drivers on Cell Phones
4: Drivers in a hurry
5: Drivers in road rage
6: Drivers who hate motorcycles
7: SUVs, any size, any color. They're gonna get you.
8: Bumpers, spare tires, engine blocks in the car pool lane. Also sofas, luggage and beer bottles.
9: City buses driven by partially blind jazz musicians.
10: Soccer moms in Suburbans.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Stupidity. Yours or theirs- either way something stupid undoubtedly happened for you to be put into that position in the first place.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I'm going along with Kirk on this one, sort of. It's like the FAA flight crash investigations I used to read when I was working on a pilot’s license. 99% of the accidents were blamed on pilot error. Engine failed? Pilot error for not verifying the maintenance was done properly. Wind shear in a thunderstorm? Pilot error for not anticipating the weather and planning around it. Another plane flies into the side of yours? Pilot error for not maintaining situational awareness. You get the idea.

In my opinion, the crash that isn’t the rider’s fault is the rare exception. Cuddy’s wreck is an exception: if you’re stopped at a light with cars in front of and beside you, and you get plowed into from behind, there wasn’t much you could have done about it. But if the rider centerpunches the side of a car that pulled out right in front of him, maybe he should have expected it to pull out, and have had one or two ideas in mind for what he’d do or where he’d go if it happened. I ride with a guy who’s been riding for almost three years now. He rides in La-La Land; bumbling down the road, assuming the cars are going to do what they’re supposed to, barely paying attention at all. His riding craft has stayed even at best, maybe even deteriorated since we started to ride together. He hardly uses his front brake, even after having crashed on an exit ramp because he slammed on the rear brake when he went into a corner too hot. I stay ahead of him.

Here’s the point, Grasshopper: keep the attitude you have going now, and you’ll do ok. Every time you ride, try to improve your skills, using the lessons you get in class, from reading, and from experience. Get ****y, distracted, in a rush, ride angry or depressed or being a showoff, and you’ll be roadkill.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
99% of accidents are caused by two things:

#1 Not paying attention
#2 See #1

No matter how skilled you are, you will bite it one day if you don't pay attention. Like my drivers ed. teacher told me at 16: "You aren't going to crash now because you are careful and paying attenition, but as soon as you think you know what you are doing and have this all figured out, that is when you will crash" Still remember those words.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
FL DOT statistics show that 85% of all serious motorcycle accidents occur within 15 miles of the home. In order to save lives, the FL Legislature is considering a bill to ban motorcycle riders from operating their vehicles within that distance range. House Speaker I. R. Repulican said: "Sure, it's going to be inconvenient to find a place to park your bike 15 miles from your home, but if this simple step can cut out even 75% of the serious motorcycle accidents, we have an obligation to get this bill passed. For the sake of the kids."

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Runnin' into things would be #1 I'd think
Speed too fast for conditions
Inexperiance
drugs/alchohol impairment
target fixation
and the ol' standby, drunk/blind/distracted/braindead/stupid/road rageing/elderly/tuner car driving/cheesehead truck driving/ no habla's and DWA cagers....

You have to focus and be aware all the time everytime. Ride around with your head in the clouds and it'll bite you big time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No one mentioned cars making left turns and not seeing an oncoming bike? Wasn't that the number one cause in the Hurt report. There's a lot to be said for being an aware biker and predicting car driver mistakes before they happen. I had a car leave a stop sign and and make a left turn in front of me on a highway once. He definitely looked my way, but was also young and inexperienced. I got most of the speed scrubbed off before impact and managed to just clip the rear of his bumper, but it's hard to predict someone is going to leave a stop sign and pull in front of you. I look at all cars at stops as dangerous now, and will flash my lights at them when I approach.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So do you think.....

FL DOT statistics show that 85% of all serious motorcycle accidents occur within 15 miles of the home. In order to save lives, the FL Legislature is considering a bill to ban motorcycle riders from operating their vehicles within that distance range. House Speaker I. R. Repulican said: "Sure, it's going to be inconvenient to find a place to park your bike 15 miles from your home, but if this simple step can cut out even 75% of the serious motorcycle accidents, we have an obligation to get this bill passed. For the sake of the kids."
I should move?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.