Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
as I recently switched from a VFR to an R1200GS, I can really appreciate the direction the market is taking in embracing the UJM riding style of old, as well as larger engines in milder states of tune (I won't pretend my GS is gruntier in any gear or any speed than my VFR was, but it sure doesn't have nearly as much compression braking that the VFR did in it's power band, which makes using the power up there easier for me).

It's a nice feeling, to ride near the front of the pack through a ride, and keep going with a few of the other handlebars when the clip-ons have had their fill and are slabbing it home

Hurrah for the MT-01s, Griso's, and FZ-1's of the world (and a huzzah for my favorites, the various adv touring bikes).

We're seeing a new age for the motorcycle consumer, with legitamately fast bikes that are much more laid back and easy going.. I couldn't be happier

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
What's up with Guzzi? Have they got 350,000 v-twin Guzzi blocks curing out in the lower 40 like GM does pushrod small blocks?

I mean sheesh, you'd think Moto Guzzi would get the hint after a three or four decades.

Can that big lump of a motor, or stick it in the frame sideways. Like (ahem) the City X.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Whoa! Is this the 90's? Motorcycle mags are putting Buell on top and then low and behold, the V10 Centauro is resurrected! What's next? A new Triumph triple sportbike?

(uhhh, wait a minute......)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, it makes a ton of sense to have the motor mounted longitudinally in the frame, the cylinders are out in the airflow and the shaft drive can come straight back. Heck, BMW has done pretty well with a similar setup for some time.

Harley's arrangement is pretty odd, when one thinks about it. They need an awkward primary drive connection with the tranny and the rear cylinder is blocked from the airflow, not quite ideal for an air cooled engine though they make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guzzi? Advertising money? Boy these guys must be easy AND cheap, lining their pockets with the $11 Guzzi has budgeted for marketing the Griso & Breva...

Come to think of it, that's been one of the problems (at least Stateside) for some time.

It took me 25 years of riding / racing before trying my first Guzzi - everyone will tell you they are definitely different, (they are) but for some reason, one can easily get attached to that ol' lump of a motor.

If you ever get a chance, ride one for a few hours; it takes that long to determine: 1) It ain't my cup of tea; or, 2) How the hell am I gonna afford another bike?

Good luck to you,

Phil

·
Registered
306 Posts
Isn't an engine an engine an engine? pistons, valves, rods, and cranks in whatever configuration you want?

If it has modern fuel injection, newer materials, and is reliable as today's market dictates, does it matter how old the basic design is?

And, what do you suggest? That MG start making inline-four superbikes with full plastic? It would probably be a bad decision, as they're unique right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my $.02

Cool videos-130mph between the twisties, not bad. I grew up on and love shaft drive, while it is not very performance based I love to see them used in sporty situations like this. What frustrates me is when they hide single sided swingarms behind mufflers. How long did it take Honda to finally move the mufflers out of the way on the VFR.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Cool looking. Unfortunately, I don't think it is designed for tall people, unless I want a burn tattoo on the inside of both knees (or look like I'm getting ready to have a baby). I think Guzzi is missing the boat on American-sized bikes. Guess I'll have to buy the Ulysses!

·
Registered
31 Posts
By ancient, you mean as in v-twin? Or aren't you paying attention to the parts about modern FI, lubrication system, etc., etc. If the age of the configuration mattered we'd all be riding Triumph triples and there wouldn't be any Harleys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This looks hot as hell. Sat on a proto at the San Bruno how last year; ergo's felt pretty good. The road will tell, of course, but I want a taste.

Now, we just need a new Bond movie to render it a classic like the Ambassador.

Styling note, though: why hide the single sided rear end with the pipe? They both look great on their own and should be allowed to show off...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Knock it off. Only Harley can be lambasted for using an ancient design.

When are HD or Guzzi finally going to move up into 1915 and go to overhead cams? Or 4 cylinders like Honda did. Wait... 4 cylinders was the Hendersonin Ace in 1912 wasn't it?

Never mind.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.