Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if this a replacement for my Concours. If I can just get "she who must be obeyed" to believe that this "Norge" thing is an appliance it will all go easier.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Isn't a "Norge" a term for pulling one's underware up his or her butt crack? Hopefully the seat won't give out the same sensation! Looks cool to me though. Just please keep the sport-touring bikes coming.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I had a Norge in the backyard for a while, kept the beers real cold until my ferret got loose and chewed through the wires. Now I've got a Frigidair, made by General Motors.

The Guzzi does look kinda appliance-like. Maybe add a cappachino machine in the bags somewhere?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Moto Guzzi Edsel 1200: First Ride Report

What were they thinking? Guess "Norge" might sound cool in Italian. Maybe has Viking overtones, who knows...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Norge was the first washing machine. Meaning a tub with an agitatator. The machine was not driven by an electric motor. How you ask? It used water power. Water pressure drove the mechanism.

I do not know offhand if this first 'washing machine' had a wringer, two rolls to press the water out, but it probably did.

Later came fractional horsepower electric motors and the rest is history. By the way, there was debate in the 1890's about if small HP electric motors made any sense. Impossible to imagine I know.

The Norge was built in Muskegon Michigan, a town that probably more than any represents Americas inudustrial age, and its denoument. Norge disappeared long ago. Probably in the early 70's, the time where the recession started here, and never ended.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lets hope its as reliable as most appliances. It's amazing how each generation of Guzzi's have a change of dressing around what's basicaly an upgraded version of the orriginal engine, designd for use as an air compressor.By now it must hold some kind of record for its longitivity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great writeup Yossef! I have always had a soft spot for Guzzis although I never owned one myself. This would be the one for me if I did, though. Too bad it's not available in the USofA (yet) Maybe someday.

BTW, I am also fond of "two big jugs powering a longitudinal crank " but I'm not sure what that has to do with motorcycling !!!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Thanks Yossef, I always enjoy your reviews.

As far as the bike goes, I gotta wait for the KPPI* before having a solid opinion if I should like it.

*fictional scale of motorcycle rankings based on the under-medicated beliefs of a self proclaimed expert.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Nice review and nice bike. I agree it's a she.. It's damn pretty next to the latest BMWs..

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you pronounce it 'Norjay', with the j almost an sh and a little bit of a zzzz sound thrown in, the kitchen appliance connection is no longer a problem. It sounds more like a Norwegian/French perfume. That is the way my dealer pronounces it, and I would prefer to think he has it right.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wish Guzzi had more dealers in the US - looks like they are making some quality & cool bikes. I hope the Norge doesn't turn into another Aprilia Futura ... everybody loves it and nobody buys it. Yossef and MO, good job.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.