Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Thats great, it's funny how things go full circle. At that time Dave Bickers and his "little" 250 two stroke Greeves was smoking the 441 and 500 four strokes, now after 40 years of 2 stroke domination 4 strokes are back on top mx'ing.

When I used to Moto Cross in the 70's there where still a very few 4 strokes like John Banks on his 500 CCM that were competitive and you'd see the odd XL 250 Honda doing Enduro's and poker Runs, now it's the two strokes that are getting rare.

I like the sequence of Dave going up the hill to the left with the bike hopping all over, that's how it was with 3 inches of suspension in the rear instead of the foot or so you whippersnappers have to play with now.

Great stuff MS, really enjoyed watching it.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
The last lap got me. Those guys were flying, all out of shape. And the finish...

On the second lap there's a shot of Bickers, on a shallow up-hill left hander, just touching the tops of bumps. And the sound of that Greeves...got me all misty eyed, sniff.

That's why I still dig my DT1.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Yup, that's the shot I meant. The last dirty bike I had was a '74 yellow tank 250 Yamaha that still had the original Thermal Flow shocks. Tons of fun until my first ex wifes ******* brother broke in and stole it.

Every once in a while I take my street bikes fire roading but nothing too serious, guess I should get a KLR or Wee-Strom or something and do it right.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
dude i thought it was going to be like a Simpsons episode, Smith and Bickers... does Jeff Smith still work at AHRMA?

where's the triples man? dirt bikes look like more fun with more trail-hugging weight. the new ones are so fast and light i feel like i am going into orbit. and i don't want to.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This sure puts Travis Pastrana's double-backflip at the x-games in perspective.

Ok, I'm trolling, I admit it. Very cool clip.

·
Registered
872 Posts
More what, suspesion travel or suspenion travel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had a 1969 BSA Victor since 1976. Every time I think I want to sell it I go for a ride and love it all over again for the fun, even with all the crudeness, that it gives me and the grin on my face. The stock ones were nothing like the GP version in this video for power or weight, suspension, etc.. but it is always fun to ride. I keep mine timed properly with a timing light so it is easy to flood it and start it up and it runs great.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Jeezus, where do you get parts for it? Mine would run for about 20 minutes, before everthing would vibrate off. The last straw was when all the screws that held the primary case on, fell out. Followed by the case, and left footpeg.

That got my attention. Was nice to look at though.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Sh*t, I'd give your left nut for a decent 441 Victor. Nothing a gallon of lock-tite wouldn't cure.

Just looking at it in the garage with a few pints af Gunniess would be worth the ticket price.....Aqualung on the CD player...a little herb in the air....just like ol' times..

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Great names on the lineup! Iron men on great machines. Makes we want to go out, start up the MX360 and take it for a spin.

Can't believe you guys all gave up dirt bikes. I ride more in the dirt than the street. My on-off road bikes get the most mileage on the road.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Who gave up dirt bikes? I just picked up a DR400 for a song. Gonna be my Canyonlands play bike next spring.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Gave up durt bykes? I just got back from a 90 degree day, out in the high desert on my CR500.

The four strokes can't catch me....nya nya.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As I remember we all thought the Greeves were kinda odd looking. But they all were smoother in the rough stuff than my Matchless was. Great video brings back good memories.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.