Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A link to the motogp site. Probably some MoFos subscribe. I do. It is fantastic. I can hook up my laptop to my tv and watch it live as though I was in Europe or Asia. The quality is at least as good as speedtv. i think it is better. I believe it is a must have for any motorcycle race fan. And no more truncated speed tv coverage for me.

regards

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It's safe to discuss this now, right?

Rossi never ceases to amaze.

When Pedrosa is on, he's damn good. Expect to see him for a long time to come. When he fianlly gets it refined, he'll be scary. Now, can someone teach him how to smile? (Yes, he did smile on the podium.)

Props to Melandri. Enough said.

Nicky might have made this even more interesting if it weren't for his run-off. Decent job limiting the damage.

Go McJunior and KR!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rossi is amazing. I think he rides with a broken right hand (wrist?) from a crash in Assen during practice last week.

Melandri gave Rossi a great fight. He's also recovering from a crash a week earlier in Catalunya.

Pedrosa is causing some new speculations. Apparently he weighs in 112lb. and compared to Rossi's 148lb. it calculates to a 30HP advantage. So not only did he win the race yesterday, he also broke the track record by more then 1.2 sec. in his 1st time ever in Donington on a MotoGP bike. So maybe they should go the 125cc way and have a minimum weight for the bike & rider combined.

Hayden didn't look that great but he still has a great lead in points.

I'm still putting my money on Rossi. But I know it'll come down to the last round.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not the most exciting race of the season - last week's last lap battel between Edwards and Hayden was phenomenal! Still, I'm glad to see the championship race stay tight.

Rossi's run from the 4th row to the podium shows even with a broken wrist he's a force to be reckoned with. Pedrosa was simply on fire, seamlessly a second a lap faster than everyone else. Too bad Nicky had such a bad week.

Great to see all the American's up front again!

I still want Nicky to win the championship! He needs a big win next week if possible!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh jeez, sorry. they have at least two different ways to hookup if you have a tv with that can act as a monitor. i think most flat screens are this way. anyhow yep presto, my neighbor came over and attached a cord to the tv and now i wake up at 5 am pst when motogp is in Europe and watch the whole thing on tv taking special care to plug my earplugs in so as not to wake up she who must be obeyed.

regards

ed

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'd go along with as much as 5 hp, but not 30. even 5 is a pretty large advantage if the aerodynamic part is equal.

i have been told (and remember 60 days before the first races in april) that every 7lbs works out to 1hp.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The broken right wrist part is the most amazing thing to me. I think I need Dr. Costa as my own personal doctor (savior). The last three times I have lowsided in a race i have dislocated, with various and sundry other breaks and bends, the same two outside fingers on my right hand. a quick trip to emergency, or a friendly non lawsuit fearing emt has pulled them back out so i could do what passes for racing in my case. thats good but braking with the sore digits is hell for a couple of weeks and especially the same day. having that much force on Rossi's right broken wrist has lead me to conclude that Dr. Costa may have access to certain pharmeceutical products which could be an advantage to me, recreationally speaking.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"It's safe to discuss this now, right?"

You funny guy. Anyone who hasn't seen the race hasn't seen any spoilers in my post. If they start reading the comments, then they're asking for it. My beef is with people who put spoilers where you can't reasonably avoid them (like in unrelated discussions, or in the post header.)

I agree - Rossi is amazing and Pedrosa looks to be the Next Big Thing. Which is why it's critical that Nicky win the championship this season - I'm not sure if he'll have another chance like this.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That is why they are my heroes, these boys are the gutsiest, toughest sportsmen out there, they make all of the stick and ball steroid pumping outlaws look like nothing but ghetto bums.

Riding with injuries that would make most of us stay home crying in pain, even longride, is awsome. GO NICKY.

20 days for Laguna!!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No sarcasm intended. I was just wondering if everyone saw the race. Some others I know were actually trying to wait for the Tuesday re-broadcast as they couldn't catch it over the holiday weekend. I guess theyr'e going to have it on during the 4th barbecue.

Notice I tried not to give too much away, either. The only thing you could safely assume is that Hayden didn't win.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rossi would only need an additional 18hp to make up for the 36lb weight disadvantage. And that's only if there's not a requirement to add weight when the rider is very light. There used to be a rule that if the rider weighed less than 134lbs then the difference had to be added to the bike. I don't know if this kind of rule is still in place though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The formula for speed is (if memory serves) :

Velocity = (the cubic root of HP) divided by Air-resistance [frontal area * Cw]

Friction is actually also part of the equation, but it's negible (or the chap who's reponsible for it not being so, will be out on his head rather quickly).

Weight doesn't come into play (if the straight is long enough) - but it's a heavy part of the accelleration equation (pun intended).

Since they are accellerating most of the time (bracking is accelleration with a negative sign in front) and no straight are long enough for them to "cruise" at top speed - Dani's weight is certainly an advantage.

But as Rossi has proven so many times last year and this too - a rider who can ride around the problems with the bike are the likely winner. Another great example of this is (was ?) Kevin Schwantz. Dani is a very likely future example of this too.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
You're a gentleman, pdad.

Like I said, I figure anyone who hasn't seen it yet would know better than to open up the thread. So no secrets in the comments.

What chafes me is when you open the MO homepage and the headline under the "News" is something like, "Utterly miraculous, unbelievable victory by Kenny Roberts, Jr.!!!!!"

That, and "Kumbaya."

·
Registered
512 Posts
Stunned!

I have been watching MotoGP since Nicky Hayden came on board and just happened to turn over and take a look at the car GP at the Indy 500 this weekend and MAN!! If we had even half as many people watching MotoGP as I saw watching the auto GP it would be a specticale.

Anybody else notice the huge difference??

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Boy that'll be something when I open the homepage and see a miraculous victory by McJunior. Although, these days it's not so hard to bellieve. I'd love to see it.

As far as being a gentleman, some (KP and Bigdx, particularly) might have a different opinion. What my friend Biggie hasn't figured out is that I'd argue the Earth is flat and JFK was assasinated by aliens just to get him riled.

And you do realize that by even thinking "kumbaya" you've set yourself up perfectly for Buzz and Seruzawa, don't you?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.