Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One minute into the race, I told my girlfriend that Nicky Hayden would finish 5th or 6th (sometimes being right sucks). I was hoping Edwards could hold on to 2nd, but I knew it was a pipe dream - figuring that Gibernau wanted a crack at Rossi, in the worst way.

I might be reaching, but during the Q&A it seemed like Rossi looked relieved, and Gibernau's restraint was the reason why. Seti had the motive, mean and oppertunity, but he didn't pull the trigger. In my book, he's The Man!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Edwards had a good run going today. Looks like he couldn't step it up once Rossi passed him.

Once again Rossi proved why he's got the number 1 plate.

I almost hope he gets a bad start in the next race so we can watch him work through some riders to get to the front.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give ya that, about Rossi moving up through the field. The guy's entertaining as Hell, when he has positions to make-up. I'd like to see the FIM start making-up reasons to send him to the back, just so we could watch him charge to the front..."MR Rossi, you have funny looking hain - go to the back of the grid."

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BINGO!

Was that wild, or what? I was sort of disappointed with the lack of fireworks on the last lap, then they make the announcement about the track record. How does someone do that? Hell, I have a hard time making it to the refrigerator after the kitchen floor's been waxed. It had to be like riding a unicycle on ice!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't understand what Nicky Hayden's problem is. I mean, he is on a Honda like Gibernau, Melandri and Biaggi, but he slides from second to sixth, losing seconds by the handful to the top riders. After the start, I thought he would hang on and perhaps get a podium finish, but if this is the best he can do on a factory Honda, maybe Honda should give that bike to someone else. Does anybody have any clue as to his disapponting performance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the post-race interview, Nicky said that his bike developed chatter and that's something they need to work on. Obviously there are a lot of variables, but the great riders seem to be better at hitting the set-up at race time than the also-rans. I wonder if we'll see Nicky on the podium this year...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Agree. Gibernau's on a better bike, and is a gifted rider - but unless Rossi makes mistakes or somehow is forced to drive the equivalent of a Toleman F1 car from the 1980s (Kawasaki, maybe?), he's more likely to "lose" than be beat.

cdg

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
or gee whiz maybe VR was right and the honda isn't the main reason for the championships he won on it? Yamaha looked like working pretty good to me... and Biaggi is supposed to be #1 factory Honda man, he's doing worse than hayden usually.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, one of the things that Jeremy Burgess was saying about Rossi in one of the Faster DVDs is how good he is at telling mechanics what needs to be done. He can analyze the problem, focus on solutions, etc. The Yamaha is obviously a much more competitive bike than last year as a result. I also think that a good rider can ride through chatter. Well, at least Nicky has learned something from Biaggi: blame something else for your problems...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Geez, Nicky can't get a break. If he hangs with the leaders and crashes he takes crap and if he has a problem and backs off a little to get some points he takes crap.

I think Edwards deserves more of it. He was actually leading and totally blew it, all on his own. Plus, he has more experience on these tracks and at this level.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jeeze, lighten up on Nicky. If you want to say he's not as good as Rossi, okay. If you want to say that he's not living up to his position as Honda's factory rider, okay. But before you cast him as a blame-laying Biaggi, consider his actual words...

"Just really, really disappointed," said Hayden. "I got a good start and it all felt great but about 10 laps from the end it started to feel like last week in the rain. I got a lot of chatter as the race went on. We don’t really know why. We need to find out! It’s a pretty lame excuse but the bottom line is I just went backwards.

"It’s been a hard weekend but I felt we were in with a chance after all the great work the team put in. It felt good to be running up front but I want to do that throughout every race. I’m not looking forward to a three-week break now. I just want Mugello to come next weekend!"

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As somone new to watching this sport, it seems like MotoGP has the wrong model for starting positon. i.e. instead it should be whoever wins the race last week should start last. Second starts second to last etc. Because you get the feeling if Rossi started last he would still win. I am rooting for Sete though because he seems like a nice guy and is the only one that hang with Rossi for any length of time...

Fun stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
guns

Edwards is cool and above all honest. in the post race interview he side that he could hang on with them till they were running 1:34.5's. when rossi and Sete went down to low 1:34's he felt that having a loaded gun pointed at him would have been safer that trying to stick with them. love the guy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.