Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
http://www.motomummy.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=20480

"I don't know what to say really - it just hurts," said a stunned Hayden. "I don't expect Dani to pull over and let me by but I definitely didn't expect him to do that. We're professionals and Dani did come to my motorhome and talk to me afterwards and we shook hands."

"What can I say? I made a mistake and I'm really sorry," offered Pedrosa. "It's the first time I've hit another rider in my career - it's never happened before in practice or racing in six years and it's happened at the worst moment that I could do it. Obviously I'm very unhappy and Nicky is not happy and I just want to apologise because I made a mistake. I said sorry to Nicky and I can understand that he is very upset – I wish I could change it. I didn't want to pass him at that moment. I braked and my rear wheel came off the ground and then it touched the ground again, I got a little more speed. I couldn't stop the bike and there was nowhere to go. I have a fracture in my little finger but we have time for it to be ok for Valencia."

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Exactly what? HRC srewed this one. Dani is a first class rider but Nicky had the line and Dani tried to stuff him. HRC SHOULD have told Dani not to race Nicky directly. It's for a world title! Nicky is supposed to be the team leader but how does one lead if you have no orders in situations like this? Nicky has every right to want to punch his teammate. It was a foolish move that could have been avoided. Now Nicky has to pull off the impossible. All hale the Doctor the 06 world champ. Sorry, Nicky.....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Please, of course you could argue what ifs until the end of time. That's not the point. This was something that was absolutely avoidable and should not have happened.

However the respective parties achieved their point totals, they were there. The outcome was ready to be decided. It's totally unfathomable that Hayden should be DNF'd by the willful disregard of his own team mate. It wasn't an engine failure. It wasn't Hayden's mistake (like Rossi made at Assen). It wasn't even a non-Honda rider that took him out.

It's not just simple a "racing incident." It was a remarkably reckless move by a rider with, ultimately, little to gain. And I'm sure that Honda feels the same way. I just doubt that they'd take any action against Pedrosa other than behind closed doors.

And if Hayden's clutch problems were real (which seems to be the case since it's been confirmed by just about everyone), it's a pretty serious problem. Imagine trying to chase down those guys with a bad clutch while trying not to blow the thing completely.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Jiffy, you don't seem to understand this situation. It has been explained to you. You are being obtuse.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
From Crash.net (with apologies--read the whole thing there.)

"...Hayden falling at a crowded first corner, or suffering a mechanical failure, would have been plain bad luck and all a part of racing - but losing a world championship lead because of a team-mate's suicidal attack was plain stupidity and may cause Honda to review the wording of its 'no teams orders' rule. Certainly, it appears that Pedrosa will now have to help Hayden at Valencia..."

Julian Ryder had similiar, if not more damning, things to say.

Pedrosa can claim that he wasn't trying to pass him here, and perhaps he wasn't, but I doubt it. Regardless, there was no reason to even be that close where a small mistake could be disasterous.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: By the way, I meant

OK, but don't let it happen again. You just missed bad feedback by a hare's breath.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Regardless, there was no reason to even be that close where a small mistake could be disasterous."

Exactly. And perhaps the "no team orders" policy stems from the fact that anybody who's not Jiffy or a gerbil would have the common sense to get the hell out of the way of a teammate in the championship hunt.

So perhaps Honda will put up a poster in the paddocks saying, "Don't pass your points-leading teammate in the final races of the season. If your house is on fire, get out of it. And - we can't stress this enough - do not stick your face in a fan. "

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Lack of Team orders is to blame.

If you watched the race, you saw Colin Edwards following Yamaha team orders by holding people up and letting Rossi go. Although Tony Elias got by eventually. Indeed Hayden talks about the lack of team orders in this interview as well as the great job Edwards was doing to help Rossi Wach Hayden interview

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
As yellow_duc says Jiffy obviously didn't wath the race and saw what Edwards was doing for Rossi. In Formula one Team orders happen all the time..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hayden was not "handed" anything; he built the points lead from consistent podium finishes and hard work. True, Rossi has suffered 3 DNFs because the Yamaha has had problems, but Hayden has ridden better than the rest of the pack by far this year.

The real disapointment is HRC. They seemingly decided mid season to give up on Hayden. Clutch problems for christ sake!! This is MotoGP and HONDA has clutch problems...wait, only Hayden has clutch problems, the rest of the Hondas go fine. Haydens poor results recently allowed Rossi to return to the title hunt, these results all courtesy of HRC's stupidity. Finally, "no team orders" is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of. HRC is the real villian in this travesty. If I were Nick, I'd be looking to move to Yamaha or Ducati next year...if I didn't already sign a contract.

Unbelievable

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Agreed, Well said you nailed it. Clutch problems all year long and Hayden still was leading until this race.. And now no team orders shame shame HRC.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes, you're right. Although, does it really have to be stated that under any circumstances--especially this one--you do not take out your team mate with such willful disregard? I guess so. If no team orders were to be given someone should have at least told Dani to chill a bit if Hayden got by him. Could it have been any worse?

Believe it or not, yes. Hayden could have been hurt and not able to ride at Valencia. As bad as Dani looks now, imagine had that been the case.

When asked for comment, the Big Chief at HRC said simply, "I have no words."

Well, there Big Chief, perhaps someone at HRC should have had some words for Pedrosa before this colossal eff-up was given a chance to occur.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Lack of Team orders is to blame.

Thanks I didn't know that.. That's what teamates are supposed to do for each other...Edwards is a class act. Nicky is handling it much better that I would of handled it.. i.e. Nicky is a class act too.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I wonder if Dani will go to the opposite extreme at Valencia and kamikaze Rossi.

(I know, that's goofy. But if he dices with Rossi and they go down, you can bet that will be the speculation.)

21 - 40 of 102 Posts