Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I guess you don't watch much MotoGP or motorcycle racing.

Hayden's pass was preceded by Pedrosa repassing after Hayden had taken third position. Being that Pedrosa has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the championship and Hayden was leading, his duty is to back off his team mate, at least until there's a clearer opportunity, team orders or not.

The big difference between Hayden's pass and Pedrosa's attempt is that Hayden didn't crash. Pedrosa was in way too hot with no angle. He botched it but he never should have been that close.

It is already being hailed by most as the one of the dumbest things ever done on a racetrack, possibly the dumbest.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Jiffy, I'm not going to sit here and argue that Hayden's clutch lost him the championship, but it certainly didn't help.

I don't think you understand how a clutch works and how it's used in roadracing. Starting is only the beginning of the problems. A slipping, overheated, glazed-over clutch is equivalent to losing horsepower and having a reliable, functioning one is helpful in controling wheelies and power to the wheel, among other things.

Besides, the only reason that anyone mentions the clutch problem is to counter the argument that "Rossi would have won it anyway if (engine failures, crash with Elias, crash at Assen, etc.)" Well, you could argue that if Hayden's bike had also worked well, he might have wrapped it up by now.

Okay, they've both had some problems (Rossi indeed had more). Fairplay and it is a team sport--the best rider doesn't always win. But this thing with Pedrosa has totally affected the whole process. And it shouldn't have happened.

And so what if Hayden lost his points lead? If Rossi and Hayden came into Valencia tied and Hayden won, he somehow wouldn't deserve it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ill say it again since it got deleted.

Nicky had 51 points and 5 races to bring it, and he sucked the last 5 races.

One race does not make or break a racing season. If Rossi did not DNF 3 times this year Nicky wouldnt even be in the running.

Pederosa is the next Honda contender. Nicky has done chit the last 3 years as the lead driver.

R

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone who posits a "that was just racing" and/or "everyone races hard" argument is copping out big-time, or just downright dishonest. I think everyone here understands that in racing, motorcycles tearing up and down from speeds approaching 200mph can be an inherently accident-prone situation. Wow..."just racing" and "accidents happen" and "Nicky did it too"... those are serious powers of observation. Let's move on though, beyond a childish and simplistic analysis.

Pedrosa is out of the championship. Pedrosa is Hayden's teammate. Hayden is leading the championship. There is NO OTHER option for Pedrosa but to help his teammate after Hayden passes legitimately...if Hayden can't pass Pedrosa then little Dani can race to his heart's content. But...with two races remaining, Pedrosa firmly ensconced in the clutches of HRC and Hayden passing him on-track...his choice is singular - assist Hayden any way possible. This does not include bombing straight into the turn, over the curb and tucking the front, subsequently t-boning his teammate and (likely) fatally damaging his championship.

Again, to reiterate: Duh. Accidents happen in racing. No big surprise there. Any apologetic for Pedrosa, or the mechanical ills suffered by Rossi leading to 'what could have been' if only Rossi finished every race is asinine at best. Ignorant at worst. This is a team sport that involves machinery that has moving parts. Rossi's moving parts weren't doing so well when Hayden's were. This year, Hayden had a legitimate opportunity to win because of his stellar consistency and pair of race-wins in the first part of the season, where even when the bike wasn't doing so well he soldiered it home for valuable points.

All of the knuckleheaded comments about Hayden's closing abilities, his lack of matched riding talent with Rossi, alleged "luck" this year with competitor's DNF's - mechanical or otherwise - are just that: knuckleheaded. Hayden raced hard, his team raced hard, he got a couple wins, was leading the championship and to not acknowledge that this is a SERIOUSLY CRAP DEAL is infantile. Pedrosa deserves serious sanctions, and as one poster above noted...taken out back for some re-education..

MotoGP this year was fantastic. A strong field with multiple race-winners, any rider's win on a given day. Hayden showing serious consistency with a couple of wins. There were some unfortunate accidents and DNF's that happened early - but most were able to recover admirably. Then you have this yellow-flag nonsense. Then you have a teammate ruining an entire year's work. For anyone to so cavalierly dismiss what happened on Sunday is...well, just dumb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wrong, in this case one race WILL make or break a racing season. Hayden did the heavy-lifting when his competitors were playing patty-cakes with their machines in the garage. All he has to do is defend his points lead. Now he has his opportunity to do that taken away...and by his teammate.

So you say that because Hayden had a couple of less than stellar races (which Rossi also had as you so eloquently put above)...then he doesn't deserve to be given the opportunity to race for the championship...that this one itty-bitty little wee-wee of a mishap shouldn't be given any weight because he, how did you put it..."sucked the last 5 races".

That makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leaving aside the obvious fact that Pedrosa has been racing these tracks for most of his professional career...it makes sense that he could step in and be a contender given his previous success in 125 and 250...and what exactly is the relevance of Hayden's rookie season here?

Hayden was championship leader. So do we say - "Rossi would DEFINITELY be leading IF ONLY!!"?? While at the same time giving Pedrosa a pass and saying "Aw shucks, that's terrible but you know...it IS racing, and racing is tough"?

So which is it? Is racing tough and Rossi has to work harder since he and his team got themselves in a hole early on - and we don't need to have these asinine speculations about what "could have been"? Or does Hayden actually deserve to get a little bit here because he did the heavy-lifting early on while some of his competitors were playing patty-fingers with their bikes in the garage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well said. This was the bonehead of all bonehead moves by Pedrosa knowing what was at stake. Hayden outworked everyone this year and this is his reward. To be taken out of a race by his own, (and I use the term loosely) teamate.

And I don't care what anyone says, Dani WAS trying to pass, didn't have room, and took Nicky out, it was that simple. This was not one of "those racing things", it was just plain STUPID given all that was at stake. And this was not like Rossi being taken out at the start of the year in a first corner entanglement. This was avoidable and should NEVER have happenned. Dani has no excuse.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
"Do NOT Eat the Big Pink Urinal Mints"

"Avoid scratching your head with the muzzle of a loaded Revolver"

Or "If you happen to find yourself in a Cult someplace in the middle of French Guiana, DO NOT drink from the Communal Punchbowl............"

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
One thing that someone pointed-out on another site - IF Hayden can win the next race, and IF Vale makes 3rd or worse - Nicky can bring home the Title, by one point.

Not that I'm saying it's likely to happen - but just THINK - what if it DID?

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Seems to me you've already decided that Rossi's won this year a long time ago--which is probably why Nicky is on a factory Honda and you're on a factory couch..."

I sit here on my factory couch pulling for Nicky to win. He's the underdog American and I wanted him to bring it home. I'm just pointing out that he wasn't exactly robbed of the title.. He's had his lucky breaks and a big lead at one point. No sense getting bitter now and stringing up Pedrosa by his nads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of Rossi's wins & catch-up points have come as the Yamaha has dramatically improved late in the season while Nicky's Honda has been a mess a lot of the season.

I won't argue Rossi is not the best.. but HRC has been a freakin mess this year, always making Hayden ride new parts that are not particularly well thought out. With the amount of money they have they should have had dual setups where Hayden had both the mature and developing bike and could pick and choose which one to ride. Cause the old one that Dani rides sure seems to have been more consistent this season.

Hayden has improved dramatically over the last year and a half, Yamaha's bike has improved dramatically this year. Hopefully next year we will see both Honda and Yamaha on the ball with their new bikes for the whole season, so the riders can duke it out to see who is best.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You got that right, if it would have been anyone else but Rossi passing under the yellow, they would have been penalized by the mighty FIM. By the way, I am a great fan of Valentino, but the rules are the rules, period!

·
Registered
8 Posts
and you're reasoning for "doesn't have the chops" is?? He's in the championship lead, he's got to protect that lead. So a rider comes on strong late in the season...and that immediately means that Hayden is a chump, can't ride, isn't a closer...yadda yadda.

Even if Rossi wins the last two races...Hayden finishes behind him and he wins the title...but Hayden "doesn't have the chops"; even though he's fighting mechanical problems and still bringing it home w/legitimate points.

...and a previous world title-holder and "future world champ" doesn't make "bonehead moves"...Pedrosa of all people doesn't get a pass. Either he's amazing and a "future world champ" because of how well he did in his rookie year - and he takes the full responsibility for the action...or he's an immature chump that makes "bonehead moves" and his head is on the chopping block. Which is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The statement that "Hayden lost the championship long ago" is about the most knuckleheaded thing to say. In case you missed it, Hayden was leading the championship.

So what kind of points-cushion would he need to - in the eyes of jiffy - still be the championship points leader? Do you need 35? 50? 100? points on the #2 rider to be a REAL championship leader? Or do you just need to have more than the next guy...kinda like Hayden had before his teammate took him out?

Hayden may very well have lost the championship, that was a very real possibility. But crap man!! Your statement leaves no responsibility for Pedrosa since "Hayden lost it long ago". You're joking right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dismiss the Honda Team Manager...Go From There

The Honda Team Manager should be dismissed immediately. Nothing less.

Is it possible he is the same person that told the press a few years back that Rossi was not the reason Honda was winning Championships...it was all Honda Motorcycles that were the reason for winning?

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
It amazes me that nomatter what happens there are people like you that can rationalize it somehow ....as if nothing really happened.

Entertain us with what you would have posted it Pedosa would have killed Nicky with this pass that should never had happened in the first place!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

A pretty small group of people claim to never make a mistake, 100% of them are full of sh!t.

Dani went to Nicky afterward and came to an understanding that resulted in their shaking hands.

I can let it go. YOU?

My position on the death and serious injury of Riders is well documented in this forum. I don't have to guess my reaction to these tragedies, I've SEEN it happen, up close, live.

Amazed? Entertained?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.