Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's great that MotoGP gets the air time but they could have stepped up and ran the race live. Guess it's not "that" important.

·
Registered
512 Posts
SpeedVision?

nyone know if SpeedVision will still be there?

Hope ABC can do a better job, and I hope they find someone this year that knows our own National Anthem. I don't Believe oh ***** is part of it!

Still all in all I'm hoping we can see Nicky kick some butt again this year, and hey finally get to see what the new Buell's look like.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yes Virgina there is a God and rides sportbikes...

Yippie!!! Ok all of you MOrons get off your bike and on to couch and watch ABC's coverage.. (This shouldn't be that hard for the GPTB to do since they are on the couch already :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's great it is airing at all. Moto GP gets an hour! If the race is delayed at all, the network would have to delay subsequent programing and that could really peave off some people. Just be thankful it's on! I won't be able to watch on the tube. I will see it LIVE!! Going down Friday through Sunday. Camping at the track with my son-in-law, grandson. I'll tape it however to see how the broadcast went.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Live or taped, let's give some credit to ABC for stepping up and taking a chance on MotoGP. Being the old home of the "Wide World of Sports" it seems more than appropriate.

It's a good thing for the sport, people.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Taking a chance on the series that has over 300 million worldwide viewers every race?

Oh, Please!

I get my MotoGP fix live every race from MotoGP.com (Yes, it IS a pay site and yes I get up early.) I am actually such a fan that I will pay to see the races live. Costs me almost $2.00 per race! I know, what a big spender! But wait - NO commercials!

BTW Speed will be there and will broadcast it live. Boy, that makes ABC look like a real bunch of pioneering risk takers. I will be at Laguna, watch it in person, ride the 750 miles home, and watch Speed's coverage before ABC's even airs.

Most American's have absolutely no clue how difficult and how much skill it takes to ride a motorcycle fast.

STOP watching network TV - IT SUCKS! When was the last time you saw A/NBCBSFoxESPN tape delay a nascar race? Never.

Your average American will turn it off when they see that there are no choppers involved.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Wonder if Mr. Arledge rides a Rune? Get it? Roone? Arledge?

He's dead but it still works...if you squint real hard.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yep the only stuff I wath on the networks is Letterman and Leno

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yep I do the motogp thing too..It's a good deal... But someday I would love to see an HD-TV version of a MotoGP race...with no commercials of course :)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Whoa, there, Trigger. What kind of national ratings do you think MotoGP is going to pull initially in the U.S.? Not big ones would be my guess. And since I have at least a scrap of knowledge about how the T.V. business works, it's not unreasonable to say that ABC is taking somewhat of a chance. They could certainly choose far less imaginative programming and pull better ratings in the short term.

Of course, I happen to think it's a good bet. Motorcycle racing, particulary MotoGP, is IMO the most compelling form of motorsport by a long way. And I think it's got a good chance to gain traction (as I've bloviated about on this site before), if given better exposure. This is the first step. If ABC sees some kind of future here, I give them lots of credit for having some foresight.

And the reason you don't see NASCAR races tape delayed is because they pull massive ratings in the U.S., even as boring as it is.

"Your average American will turn it off when they see that there are no choppers involved."

Exactly.

(And exactly what every other network who hasn't decided to air MotoGP was probably thinking.)

P.S. The chopper craze, at least on T.V. and surely soon to follow with the general public, has finally jumped the shark. Praise be to God.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Movie night

A little off topic, but I just got finished watching my just-arrived copy (Preview Edition) of "The Doctor, The Tornado, and The Kentucky Kid."

Want me to tell you how it ends?

(Buz, this copy will be up for grabs once the Collectors Edition comes out. Act quickly or it goes to one of my dopey friends. Actually, you can afford to buy your own, cheapskate.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.