Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
Motorcycle Advertising Part Two

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Advertising Part Two in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I remember virtually all those ads, Fred (well, with the exception of the "Nicest People on a Honda" - that was just a bit before my time, but I've seen that ad in the years since).

I distinctly remember the Honda Hurricane TV ads, there were two "cuts" of the ad you describe (short and long), and another that was filmed with the "Ninja" practicing his skills with deadly-accuracy with shuriken, forms, and a Katana, then a cut to the CBR (I want to recall one ad-set being for the 1000, the other the 600 later-on).

I even bought Harley-Davidson cigs, when I smoked. Should have saved a few packs, I hear they're worth considerably more than I paid for 'em nowadays.

Thanks for the little trip in the Wayback Machine........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I remember virtually all those ads, Fred (well, with the exception of the "Nicest People on a Honda" - that was just a bit before my time, but I've seen that ad in the years since).

I distinctly remember the Honda Hurricane TV ads, there were two "cuts" of the ad you describe (short and long), and another that was filmed with the "Ninja" practicing his skills with deadly-accuracy with shuriken, forms, and a Katana, then a cut to the CBR (I want to recall one ad-set being for the 1000, the other the 600 later-on).

I even bought Harley-Davidson cigs, when I smoked. Should have saved a few packs, I hear they're worth considerably more than I paid for 'em nowadays.

Thanks for the little trip in the Wayback Machine........
One of the most amusing ads involving motorcycles was a car ad a couple of years back showing some mid-sized US sedan racing around on some road and showing it blowing off a ZX-10R and the rider pulling off the road in supposed fear. Heh heh. I think I chuckled for about an hour after that.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Did you ever try the HD Beer? Awful stuff. Haven't seen it around for a few years.
I never could find it anywhere, or I'd almost-certainly have imbibed............

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
They missed the best BMW ad, it said something like “I’ll have a shower when I can smell my armpits at 80 MPH” which has been my motto ever since.

The worst bike ad that I can recall is Yamaha touting their cruisers as “Love is never having to tell her you are broke”. How lame-arse can you get. Instead focussing on HD beating performance or quality you convey of image of Yammie rider as an income challenged idiot who tries to impress his girl by being a cheapskate.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
That's hittin' below the belt! :-D
If a man smells that bad - I try to avoid hittin' him anywhere on his body.

Or any contact "in-person", if at all possible........

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
That's hittin' below the belt! :-D
My Grandad who was a guest of the Germans for a few years in the early 40's used to tell me Germans never bathed below the belt, I believed that one for years....

The BMW stinky guy ads brought it all back, I laughed my ass off when I read it, I have to admit my favorite is the Kawasaki cruiser guy with the half helmet that looks like he's got a colander on his head...Priceless.

I lined my wall with Norton Girl, BSA and Triumph ads when I was a nipper. They went nicely with the airplanes hanging from the ceiling on strings...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The Mike Hailwood one's a classic.. bolt upright, knees tucked in, only the bike leaned over

·
Registered
5 Posts
I enjoyed the article, but I can't read any of the BMW adds that you said were the best.
Yep. And the photo browser page blows searing gelatinous chunks. Send your webmonkeys to AJAX or Flash school for cripesakes. Even if it didn't work like a 90's AOL page, shouldn't the images be larger than the ones in the main article? Just askin'.

Not to be a total kvetch, great article. Other than the full page "Doctor discovers secret male enhancement pill" pronouncements, the ads are sometimes the only good reason for picking up the printed rags anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Until our tech team gets to the above issue with the BMW captions, this will have to suffice.

*Caption:* “Yeah, I have a hair stylist. His name is ‘helmet.’”

*Caption:* “Those two should make a sequel. They could call it, ‘Easy Driver.’”

*Caption:* “Guys are always checking out my rear. Of course, that’s all they ever see.”

*Caption: *“I just added my first aftermarket accessory. I think his name is Mike.”

Caption: “I sure hope they mean that guy from the TV show.”

*Caption:* “After 20 years of marriage, she’s holding me tighter than ever.

*Caption:* “There are more direct routes to work. But I hate my job anyway.

*Caption: *“If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet,
call an ambulance. I’ve hit a deer.”

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.