Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have to agree with this selection. I test drove one and, due to the lack of carrying capacity, I kept my Triumph Sprint ST. This was probably the most "Fun to ride" bike I've ridden since I quit riding open class motocrossers in the 70's. If I had purchased one, I would also have had to go down to the Florida Highway Patrol office and purchase my own personal ticket book. This thing is probable cause on wheels. What fun!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have to agree with this selection. I test drove one and, due to the lack of carrying capacity, I kept my Triumph Sprint ST. This was probably the most "Fun to ride" bike I've ridden since I quit riding open class motocrossers in the 70's. If I had purchased one, I would also have had to go down to the Florida Highway Patrol office and purchase my own personal ticket book. This thing is probable cause on wheels. What fun!!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
snorfle, whinny...

no you fool, like a TOTEM pole of MOrons all stacked up on each others shoulders. That guy at motorcyclist mag. says your buell is the worst bike he's ever ridden. Ya think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, the nearly unobtainable Tuono...object of desire and fancy, the embodiment of moto-lust. I saw you from afar, but took the '03 GSX-R1000 home. Fare you well in the hands of those wealthier than I...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Don't knock the new Sporty. We just picked one up for an upcoming shootout and let me tell you, that thing is 100% better than the old Sportster.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Aprilia used the V-twin and handling developed for the RSV and stuck in the Tuono with out detuning either. This is what makes it a trackday bike for the masses. Honda could replace the 919 with a model based on the new CBR 1000 without detuning the engine, Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD), or Pro-link suspension. Yamaha could see the light and upgrade the FZ1 with the R1 2004 engine and brakes along with electronic fuel injection. Suzuki could use the GSXR 1000 as a base for a naked/standard. Kawasaki already has one with the Z1000 but upgrade it with the motor developed for ZX-10R. Ducati could break new ground like they usually manage to do with a 999/ST4. H-D could snap the V-rod V-Twin into the Buell line.

This could be a great decade for naked/standard motorcycles that have all the performance and handling for the track and riding ergonomics for everyday use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: snorfle, whinny...

Yeah & they couln't figure out how they go around the track so fast on it. They all were surprised at their times.

Guess if it doesn't handle exactly like a Suzuki of a Kawi, the bike must be wrong.

Julian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Must have missed the poll...

Test rode one and the bend in the bar and the thin grips hurt my wrists and I ride sport bikes with clip-ons for crying out loud.

So what did you do with all the votes for the SV650? ;-)

·
Registered
162 Posts
As far as "standard" motorcycles go, the motopress picked the Tuono as the overwhelming favorite in this country and in the U.K. MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS was the major dissenter. They compared the Tuono to the Triumph Speed Triple and declared the Triple to be significantly better in virtually all categories. This test was in their September 2003 issue. For whatever it's worth, I rate them as the best testers in the business. Their staff riders are older than most motojournalists and have a more honest, realistic approach. They use Danny Coe and Walt Fulton to test the performance bikes. They are 45 & 54 years old respectively, but are ex-roadracers with impeccable credentials. The Tuono/Triple test makes for some interesting reading, as always, adding fuel to the never ending fire. Hope you find this useful information. Cheers, Jack

"I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol."

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.