Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree, at $3 a gallon the overall cost of 40 vs 50 mpg is pretty hard to distinguish. a mere 1.5 cents a mile, as the ratio is exponential and the average american drives only 15000 miles a year, savings drop off quickly after 35+ mpg

My s3 gets 45mpg reliably, but 300 bucks a year on tires and $10 a quart oil really make a dent in my savings (1 set of tires and 2 oil changes for a 12000 mile year ) I have a sneaking suspicion it is a near wash with my 25mpg v6 altima

In the end I like to tell myself I am reducing petroleum consumption while having fun. Your personal delusions may have varied effect.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would suggest that you are comparing apples to oranges. The higher the performance of the bike the shorter the maint interval, the less the gas milage and the faster a tire disapears. consider the cost of owning a car that even starts to aproach the performance of a sportbike. last time I checked, a dodge viper can eat a set of 330 section goodyears faster than a bike can dispatch a 180 michelin (and it still can't do wheelies straight from the factory)

A commuter bike is more efficient than an econobox, a sportbike is more efficient than a sportscar and a harley is more efficient than an suv ( I think )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.