Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a motorcycle noob.

I don't have a license nor do I have a motorcycle. I plan on getting my license soon. I want a motorcycle simply because the commute to work every day is a lot easier and parking downtown is free for bikes/scooters/motorcycles. Basically what I am saying is that I need a bike for practical reasons, not really for personal interests (sorry!)

I would simply buy a scooter (don't laugh) but am too embarrased to get one! ha!

So, what kind of bike should I get that is practical, relatively cheap and relatively easy on insurance? I am going to buy used probably.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Get yerself a MAN's Scoot......

are there no bikes which are "scooterish" but still bikes?
........BossHoss 502. 'Cuz you'll outgrow that wimpy-arse 350 in six months..............

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
(I'm ignoring AirHawk; you should too.) :)

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
... pull the wimpy [email protected] 504CI engine out of the Boss Hoss and install a Merlin. Where you been? Poofville?
Pshaw! Merlin?! Why should I go with something as antiquated and wimpy as that?

Nah, I've been attempting to wedge a Pratt & Whitney J-58JT11D-20 into my Hawk...........

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Complete with.......

........an AFTERBURNER!

ROWR!!!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh yeah?

Pshaw! Merlin?! Why should I go with something as antiquated and wimpy as that?

Nah, I've been attempting to wedge a Pratt & Whitney J-58JT11D-20 into my Hawk...........
Well I just got a line on some Shuttle boosters from Morton Thiokol up here.

So there. Nyah nyah nyah.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Well I just got a line on some Shuttle boosters from Morton Thiokol up here.

So there. Nyah nyah nyah.
Keep an eye on the base-gaskets. If they start leakin' like a Harley - you might be in trouble..........

·
Registered
7,116 Posts

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.
Isn't the Honda SilverWing a scooterish motorcycle? Or is it a motorcyclish scooter? There was a good review of the Suzi Burgman versus the Yamaha thingy too. The MoFos rode 'em right up the coast of Callifornica if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The problem with the bigger scooters is, you still need a motorcycle license.

Bite the bullet and take the MSF course. Get a license!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Honda PC800 is pretty much a scooter... Good luck finding one though. And it's probably not a great first bike anyway. Just get a scooter, but take the MSF course (at least) anyway.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
The Honda PC800 is pretty much a scooter... Good luck finding one though. And it's probably not a great first bike anyway. Just get a scooter, but take the MSF course (at least) anyway.
Yes, the PC is the MOST INOFFENSIVE Scooter ever designed by Man.......... :cool:

I've a friend with the most pristine example of a '97 you've ever seen, that I keep trying to get him to sell to me.

I've almost got him worn-down.

That thing is a Chick Magnet, for sure. I can't WAIT to get laid once I take posession.

·
Registered
352 Posts
are there no bikes which are "scooterish" but still bikes?
Get a Ninja 250 - it's only 30 hpr or so good enough for the freeway if you ever want to use it there.

There are actually several benefits to a motorcycle over a scooter:

1. Bigger wheels handle pot holes and bumps better
2. More suspension travel again better ride over bumps.
3. Less unsprung weight vs sprung since on the scooter the engine is typically unsprung weight.
4. more even front rear weight distribution
5. better all round performance.

While many people might point out bennifits of a scooter over a bike - insurance costs, licence requirements - storage space.

Some of those can be lessed or fixed. Getting a ninja 250 and your insurance shouldn't be bad especially on a used one I was paying $85/year for my 500. For storage I think a bike with saddle bags, tank bag and rear truck can probably carry more than any scooter. Problem is you can't be afriad to do some welding or fabing to get saddle bags or a tail trunk on your race replica - my father even put a tail trunk on his RS250 2-stroke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bikes are addictive. Once you get one, you are ready to stay on it. Plan for it. I got a scooter and couldn't wait to trade up. I got an old 750 and still wanted more bike. Now I have a V Star, love it, but will probably buy a sport bike too for unwinding. Unless you are positive you won't want more bike, think about something you'll feel good about jumping on every day when you go to work. For me, it's the best part of my work day.

·
Registered
553 Posts

If you have the dollars there are also some attractive italian scooters in the same size/class. Personally the Burgman (and similar scooters) look hideous to me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The other thing you might consider (if you can wait for it) is the Aprilia Mana which has under the "tank" storage for (odd for a standard bike layout) and uses a CVT (automatic) gear box.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Get the [email protected] scooter- already!

Nothing wrong with them. Biggest issue is your budget. Personally, I'd stay with the "original" scooter- VESPA. Any number of their models will probably fit the bill. If you want modern- buy a used Honda Silverwing. Either way, go get your learner's permit and sign up for a MSF course- you'll be glad you did.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.