Motorcycle Forums banner

Motorcycle Noob

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  fumanchu 
#1 ·
I am a motorcycle noob.

I don't have a license nor do I have a motorcycle. I plan on getting my license soon. I want a motorcycle simply because the commute to work every day is a lot easier and parking downtown is free for bikes/scooters/motorcycles. Basically what I am saying is that I need a bike for practical reasons, not really for personal interests (sorry!)

I would simply buy a scooter (don't laugh) but am too embarrased to get one! ha!

So, what kind of bike should I get that is practical, relatively cheap and relatively easy on insurance? I am going to buy used probably.

#4 ·
Get yerself a MAN's Scoot......

........BossHoss 502. 'Cuz you'll outgrow that wimpy-arse 350 in six months..............

#5 ·
(I'm ignoring AirHawk; you should too.) :)

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.

#11 ·
(I'm ignoring AirHawk; you should too.) :)

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.
Isn't the Honda SilverWing a scooterish motorcycle? Or is it a motorcyclish scooter? There was a good review of the Suzi Burgman versus the Yamaha thingy too. The MoFos rode 'em right up the coast of Callifornica if I recall correctly.

#8 ·
Complete with.......

........an AFTERBURNER!

ROWR!!!

#15 · (Edited)
Yes, the PC is the MOST INOFFENSIVE Scooter ever designed by Man.......... :cool:

I've a friend with the most pristine example of a '97 you've ever seen, that I keep trying to get him to sell to me.

I've almost got him worn-down.

That thing is a Chick Magnet, for sure. I can't WAIT to get laid once I take posession.

#17 ·
Bikes are addictive. Once you get one, you are ready to stay on it. Plan for it. I got a scooter and couldn't wait to trade up. I got an old 750 and still wanted more bike. Now I have a V Star, love it, but will probably buy a sport bike too for unwinding. Unless you are positive you won't want more bike, think about something you'll feel good about jumping on every day when you go to work. For me, it's the best part of my work day.

#20 ·
Get the d@mn scooter- already!

Nothing wrong with them. Biggest issue is your budget. Personally, I'd stay with the "original" scooter- VESPA. Any number of their models will probably fit the bill. If you want modern- buy a used Honda Silverwing. Either way, go get your learner's permit and sign up for a MSF course- you'll be glad you did.

Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.