Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Good lord, you aren't that short. Stop being so damn self conscious. For a sport bike you are closer to being the ideal size than my lanky ass 6'1" will be.

The Ninja 250 and 500 will fit you just fine.

If you are still concerned about your height, just pull a Costanza, buy some timberlands to give you an extra inch and a half and paint them black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a bit about being short and riding... I'm 5'7", and I can barely touch both my toes to the ground at the same time on my bike ('03 Aprilia Falco-- not famous for being a really tall bike). I am not a cruiser guy at all, so I just got used to not being able to touch the ground. The only time it really causes problems is when I'm trying to maneuver in an off-camber driveway, or when I come to a stop on a hill that slopes across the bike's axis. I've been riding for 20yrs+, so it's not new to me. I wouldn't recommend that a newby learn to ride on a bike where he/ she couldn't see the ground. Ninja 250 sounds like a fine recommendation.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
What I'm getting at is that this person isn't all that short. My fiance is 5'4" and was able to fit on quite a few bikes. The limiting factor was the weight as she didn't have the upper body strength to allow her to feel comfortable on most of the bikes.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Good enough to think twice before arguing with her!

The 100 yard grouping is one thing, but indoors, the quick draw revolver hip shots are more worrisome.

Luckily she has a hard time keeping enough force against a semi-auto pistol to prevent it from jamming on the recoil, so I have the advantage of the hi-cap mags for the Glock against a six shot revolver to work in my favor.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Aprilia's RS250 or Yamaha's TZ250 should be sporty enough for you. It might take a bit to get them past the DMV but it should be worth the effort. This is a joke. Don't go gettin' excited.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not a sportbike but sporty enough- the new Ducati Monster 695 should be low enought for you, and the broad torque is good for a newbies. Plus the engine is big enough that you won't outgrow it too fast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check out the Buell Blast with the low seat option. Or the 883L Sportster, if you want something that heavy - 560lbs. dry... Enjoy! [And don't knock some of those Scooters, Honda's Silverwing and Suzuki's Burgman, will do over 110mph! And search-out Honda's upcoming DN-01, I think that it would surprise you!]. Please get a copy of David L. Hough's Street Strategies book also, as it may very well save your life, due to it's great advice on how to avoid potential riding traps. Each chapter is two pages, so it is an easy read!!!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If your using the ride for daily commuting then my suggestion is a Suzuki Burgman 400s. Tons of storage, fine looks, great mileage and CHEAP to insure. BTW, it will easily cruise at HWY speeds.

·
Registered
780 Posts
"I like the sportbike look, something that looks fast. I'm new to the game, no experience at all on a bike"

The majority of bikes that look fast are fast. With no experience, a fast bike is not something you should be considering. You’ll find that even 'slow' bikes can actually go quite fast when compared to the average motorcar.

"I was thinking about getting a moped, but they are to slow for freeway and that's an insult to bikers"

No, they are only perceived as an insult by a couple of squids who think they are bikers, but actually belong behind an X-box rather than being out on the road. A number of moped/scooters are very capable machines and real motorcycles in their own right.

I suggest you go to a dealer and have a look at a few bikes and see what you feel comfortable on. The 250 ninja recommended above is a good starter bike, which should not be to heavy or too tall for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your height and weight is meaningless in this equation. Buy a beginner bike or face certain trauma (psychological and possibly physical) as a squid.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sit on some and you might be surprised that once you're rolling you don't have to super low to the ground to feel confident. You have a lot of options even for larger cc standard/naked bikes, but the Ninja 250, 500 and new 650R are the logical choices for low-seated sport bikes, but don't forget to check out some of the mini crusiers (250cc-600cc) if you still want a real bike and not a deathped. Other options are older bikes, or to check what taller bikes can be lowered to fit you, since some bikes are easy to lower. Also, sometimes a simple seat replacement will get you that extra inch or two needed.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.