Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
third post, wahoo!

This, of course, fails to take into account the other social benefits of biking. To wit: radically less wear on the road infrastructure, releaved parking pressure, less congestion in traffic, and far less actual fuel used.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know for a fact that this information is not accurate across the board. My injected Ninja was tuned on the dyno with a gas analizer and it's emmisions are less than my car. maybe if they tested a 2 stroke or a P.O.S. in need of rings and some carb work, but not the current stuff. I suppose if they tested a Harley with an after market cam with lots of overlap it would be easy to get bad results, but between the EFI, cat converters and the extreemely lean conditions manufacturers set these bikes to - I don't buy this crap!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Hmmm. Not a lot of information here. If they are comparing a hybrid Civic to an old RD350, then there might be a problem.

As I understand it, motorcycles can be seen as higher polluting vehicles if the measurement is taken as say, "Grams of pollutant per passenger/horsepower-mile" or something like that. I am sure wiser heads here will know.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Consider the source. Look very carefully at the fine print at the bottom. It reads, "Content provided by: Verdict On Cars." Now, check out the website. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Reuters ain't exactly the most reliable news source on this planet. See James Taranto's "Best of the Web" daily feature in WSJ's online Opinion Journal...especially the "Not too Brite" feature...on all things going on in "Reutersville".

Anywho, on Drudge early today was a link to a Brit proposal to monitor ALL traffic 24/7 with data kept 2 yr minimum on movements of ALL vehicles on ALL roads at ALL times. Hello Big Brother traffic cameras.

The Euroweenies -and I'm sad to include the mother country in this group of losers - can and will regulate anything. This stuff is not only no suprise but sadly expected.

Sounds like Longride is in dire need of a "Thunder in the Whatever" fix. Earplugs optional, of course!

·
Registered
233 Posts
seems like a per is missing there. More pollutants per what? per mile driven?, gallon of fuel consumed?, weight of vehicle and occupants?, per cc of displacement??

And whats "a motorcyle"? Anyone in particular?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
It's not to hard to figure out that a four stroke internal combustion engine with fuel injection and a catalytic converter will produce less emissions than a carburetted four stroke internal combustion with a plain exhaust.

Given the popularity of 1.0L and up City Car engines in Europe bikes probably do pollute more. If you compare a 1.2L EFI-cat-con equipped BMW bike to a similarly equipped and sized car I imagine the results would be about the same, unless the car was a diesel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also remember that a majority of "motorcycles" in Europe are of the smaller, 2 stroke variety. Carb'ed 2 strokes are going to emit TONS more emissions per whatever when compared to EFI cat equipped cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, let`s rank that right up there with that "dirty" weed wacker!!! I`m sure between them both, they account for .00000001% of the pollution in this country!!! So for sure they`ll raise hell about it, it`s easier to go after the small stuff, that the REAL polluters.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Quellen die Schweizer sind aller Huhn-Bumser irgendwie, so wer sich interessiert hervor?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here's the most excellent babel fish translation:

Pour do Swiss are all chicken Bumser somehow, so who is interested out?

Random Euro funny:

Go to google

type "French military victories"

press "I'm feeling lucky"

click on the suggested link

·
Registered
277 Posts
Euroweenies in the mother country aren't as weeny as you think. Nor are other Euro countries. In the UK we have MAG, the Motorcycle Action Group, a very savvy pressure group whose whole purpose is to track and oppose anti-bike legislation, and they do it very successfully. They also link up with similar riders' rights organisations across Europe, who are similarly tightly focused and know what they're doing.

And Switzerland isn't in the EU anyway. Geographically it may be in Europe, but politically and fiscally, it isn't. It does, however, have the most seriously restrictive anti-bike legislation in the whole world, and what might be sold in the US with, say, 50 bhp at the back whell will only have about half of that in Switzerland.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Chicken-Bumser is akin to "Hoonafecker". Doesn't translate that well I guess.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.