Motorcycle Forums banner

Motorcycle riders that never make the CBS news

9K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  captainwhoopass 
#1 ·
Wow, my Grandma would never go for that!

#5 ·
thanks for the article.

that was very thoughtful for those harley guys to do that.

but posting it here is preaching to the choir... we need more national exposure re: stuff like this.

AMA hello? i pay for the NRA to protect my 2nd Amendment rights... when the AMA gets their sh1t straight, and does more than changes race rules to ***** off manufacturers and squabble internally, i'll renew my membership...

until then...

#7 ·
Yeah, let's conveniently forget all the good things that the AMA does and let's always remember they don't do EXACTLY as you want. After all this is the "ME" generation. It's all about you and your wants, and until the AMA can do exactly what you want all the time, you will continue to be part of the problem and not part of the answer.

#10 ·
when the AMA gets their sh1t straight, and does more than changes race rules to ***** off manufacturers and squabble internally, i'll renew my membership...

Great idea, sit on your money. Meanwhile, the liberal land grabbers never sleep, nor do the bureaucrats in there never ending quest to "protect" us. The AMA is fighting these wackjobs for you. Whether you agree w/ them on every issue or not, they're all we got.

-fight the enviro hacks to keep off road areas open and reopen closed lands.

-fought to end health insurance discrimination.

-fought to gain HOV access for bikes.

there's lots more..

AMA Website

#12 ·
Totally Cool!!

I have to weigh in and say this is totally cool. It's nice to see people thinking of male motorcyclists as overgrown Boy Scouts than as evil biker dudes. Love this positive press. Now just need to figure out a way to get it in front of Dan Rather's face. Any suggestions?

Grandma says "Singles and Twins Forever!!"

#13 ·
I recommend we post a list of biker events that we've participated in in the past year and then send that list to CBS. I'll start. On September 7th I rode in the Big Jim Charity Ride for the Make a Wish Foundation. The ride started in Cumberland, MD and traveled to the crash site of Flight 93 in Somerset, PA, where a memorial was erected to honor those who gave their lives on 9-11-01. The ride finished with a picnic at the Mineral County Fair Grounds in Fort Ashby , WV. Raised about $4,000. I counted about 170 bikes on the ride. Next!

#18 ·
Re: HEY, WHAT ABOUT ME

Dood, you can ride on my bike anytime even if I only have a 954. It is tougher to pull the front wheel unless I got someone riding *****... but then they only ride once. You have to promise not to swish around too much on the cloverleafs when Im draggin my knee though or I will get pissed and spike you on a mile marker.

SR

#20 ·
Well said.

I was having problems at my parking deck here in OKC. The magnetic loops don't read bikes. Not enough steel even in the Harley to signal it.

I, as well as the other riders, ride around the gate. That gets the security guys in a twist so I contacted the AMA rep for my district and asked for help. He provided me with a great letter to send to the owners/managers of the deck in hopes of getting additional loops added.

We still ride around the gate as the money and city approval to add the additional loops can take years but the owner and the manager both ride. They actually thanked me for the letter as, in their words, it gives them ammunition to go to the city and ask for approval install the loops. In the meantime we were all sent the owner’s, the manager’s and the assistant manager’s business cards with instructions to show them to "anyone who hassles you" and have them call if they have any problems.

My wife and I are both full members and have been for years. I figure as long as I'm willing to spend $400 on Two Brothers cans for my ST or $150 for heated grips on the RoadKing I'll keep sending my $29x2/yr to the AMA. Can't even buy a good pair of riding gloves for that price!

#21 ·
The Eastside HOG group is a great bunch of guys. My ma manages an assisted living center (www.hhftd.org) and one of the residents is a huge Harley fan. They stop by periodically to visit John. Unfortunately he's too severely disabled to go for a ride, but just getting a chance to see their bikes up close is a huge thrill.

CBS can run all the shock programming they want. Viewers might get incensed but this fades over time. What people really remember are the experiences they have first-hand with motorcyclists - good or bad.

#23 ·
i appreciate all your comments... even longride's veiled personal attack.

because if anything, it shows me there are people who DO care about motorcycle lobbying on Capitol Hill.

why am i cynical about the AMA? well frankly, i just have to read stuff from this site:

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/index.html

now granted, Mr Ulrich obviously has a strong bias in his views, seeing how he is intricately tied into their politics... but just doing a search through RoadRacing World website on all the articles of the last 3 years... frankly, makes me think they could divert more money away from dumb bullsh1t like infight and lawsuits to more useful areas such as Capitol Hill lobbying.

good ol' lobbying.

how exactly is that selfish... or a "me" thing?

i want them to lobby for the interests of their members as a whole. that should be their main focus... everything else secondary.

and if im not seeing this the right way, educate me then, because the politics within the organization sure look yucky.

#24 ·
in other words,

when i think of the AMA, and write down what comes to mind... i think of:

labor unions and boxing.

when i think of another interest group, o say... the NRA, i think of:

lobbying... guys in business suits in D.C. waging a lobbying war against leftists who want to take my rights away.

im not saying this perception in my mind is FACT... that the AMA doesn't do SH1t... i read their website once in awhile... they DO do a lot... but i question their priorities once in awhile.

and i wonder why i have this perception problem?

#26 ·
Re: Harleys and their riders rule.

"Crotch rocketeers" Thats clever and I kind of like it. This is a good example for the rest us to follow. You are right, us rocketeers could do more but we tend to be not as social and unorganized. . I think the wingers do a lot of good things though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.