Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 135 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
I can only comment from immediate personal experience. I do not have a huge statistical pool from which to draw.

However, I believe (and have experienced) that if one starts with a small-caliber, easy-to-handle bike as one's first to drop--I mean ride--and then moves gradually up the displacement scale with age, the insurance bills will always be pretty small.

I started with a 1983 GPZ 305, then bought a 1986 Honda Interceptor 500, and then in 1990 a CBR1000F. Insurance was always reasonable, even for the 1000F which my insurance company didn't seem to recognize as a "sport bike." And of course by today's standards it's not.

I'm now 43 and have a 02 R1 and an 01 R1100S. Both bikes together are about 6 bills a year with a $1000 deductible. This has always struck me as extremely reasonable.

However, I have never made a claim. I have never reported a traffic violation to my insurance company (they've never asked. they can find out for themselves).

Buz might have something interesting to add in this regard; he's fortyish and has a sweet fleet. How much do you pay in insurance, Buz? Does it seem fair?

· Registered
227 Posts
After all, you can only ride one at a time.

For Southern Cal that doesn't sound too bad for motorcycle insurance, especially at 100/300.

I started riding in California (lived in Glendale and West LA for six years) so I'm familiar with the SoCal insurance markup--I mean market.

So 40 is the new 30....is that good? Seems like you can take that either way.....

· Registered
227 Posts
Toward the top of this thread I briefly detailed my experience with street bikes owned and insurance, blah blah blah.

And a couple of people have written in and said, of course young inexperienced riders want sportbikes and big ones are sexier (size does matter after all).

But now another of my neurons fired.

I started out with a Kawi GPZ 305. Little teeny bike, cool looking (or at least I thought so at the time) and I took it to redline every single ride because it was so much fun to do.

My point being that small displacement bikes can a blast! Motorcycle manufacturers oughta be pushing this point hard and selling newbies on light, agile, easy-to-ride bikes.

I understand that small-displacement bikes have traditionally been a hard sell in the land of the Suburban and the 3500 square foot tract house (not to mention the Rune). The average American likes their stuff big. But there are some very cool 400's available in Europe and Japan.

Honda's 599 sort of counts as a good entry bike, or the evergreen SV650. But I just know that a 300 pound, entry-level Honda 399 or SV350 could be a boatload of fun and cheap cheap cheap to insure.

1 - 3 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.