Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
This guy should be immediately fired, publicly.

This amounts to dereliction of duty, and actually seems pretty similar to cases where sexual or racial harassment are demonstrated; it's pretty clear that this guy was part of a system that fostered indifference and negligence towards injured motorists.

While the proximal response time may not have been affected, I would imagine that a good attorney should be able to demonstrate that systemic response times are slow due to exactly this type of behavior.

I have enormous respect for police officers who enforce real laws - they have a dangerous, difficult and under-appreciated job. However traffic enforcement, due more to desire for revenue by states and municipalities, is something for which I have virtually no respect - dangerous behaviors are ignored, while harmless technical violations are aggressively addressed.

cdg

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Why should anyone be upset about this? This cop's attitude is just the next logical step up from the attitude of the people who say that motorcyclists who don't wear helmets should be denied medical treatment at public expense. Riding motorcycles is inherently dangerous and therefore stupid, right? Why should the police be bothered with rendering assistance to people who are stupid enough to ride bikes at all? Think of all the govt money that could be saved for the more important things it has to do. Or maybe all those savings would immediately be returned to the taxpayers in the form of tax cuts, right?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Of course the money would be returned. They're so fiscally responsible they don't need all those taxes anyway. Actually this is a classic example of the end result of cutting taxes and services, not in this specific instance, this officer clearly has "issues" and need to take a little vacation. But as an overall example, get injured, call for assistance, get no answer. Or get insulted by some barely qualified minimum wage dweeb who got the job because no one else would take it.

Paying taxes to pay for vital services might not seem too bad when you're the one laying there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rather than just toss out a simple but incendiary "cops are ****heads" line I'll offer this...

Thinking back to high school and the people I knew who later became cops... pretty much all of 'em were school bullys and ****heads who went into law enforcement not to "protect and serve" but because they craved authority and had an almost homoerotic attraction towards uniforms and guns.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its a shame that most of the cops I've known (outside of courts) fit the above mentioned bully/facination with guns and uniforms/need to feel in power/the laws don't apply to me attitude.

Of the few I know that are honest, hard working, doing it for the desire to help others, 2 quit because they didn't fit in to the "club", 1 is still persevering. He gets the crap night shifts, in crap areas. But I'll take him any day, if I need a cop (hes also retired special forces and one hell of a nice guy to know)

That being said, cops have a tough job and most probably develope a thick skin just to cope with the dailly B.S. This guy needs some serious help, he needs to re-think why hes on the job, and if helping people and enforcing the law is not the reason, then he need to quit before he kills someone. He can allways be a rent a cop, or prison guard.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I listended to the recording of that call this morning and was sickened. That ******* got a 15 day suspension and the union thinks that punishment is too severe. He should be the one face down in a ditch and have to rely on somoeone's good nature to help him out. If I found him, I might just stop and take a ***** on him. I've met some great cops in my life. The whole fraternity should turn its back on this jackass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never posted here but I just HAD to chime in!

After 10 years driving an ambulance in a VERY busy system-2 years as a volunteer firefighter-2 years as a part time police officer......Believe me-there is NO excuse for the attitude that this guy exhibited.

someone may say that "we are all human"-"maybe it was a bad day".....NO WAY!....if you "reach your limit for the day" and your attitude resorts to this behavior then punch out and go home... and when you get home, seriously sit down and THINK about whether you chose the wrong profession or not!

This guy makes me sick! Not because I ride-because I spent many years in the field and I expect more.

tony

(oh, I forgot-I was a part time 911 operator for awhile)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome to the MOronic buletin board. I guess you haven't been lurking very long.

For your information, Sarnali is joking with you. Here's a reference.

Personally I don't see much humor in it, but that might just be me.
In any case, you have now been officially drafted into MO's storied and ongoing history :)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I think it depends on the local culture of the individual police force. Being raised in LA I got used to thinking that cops are mostly @ssholes. But since moving to Utah the few experiences I've had with the local police have been quite positive.

They like to call themselves "peace officers" rather than "law enforcement". A completely different attitude. Yeah there are the individual jerks, but nothing like in the metropolises. Everyone I've dealt with has been nothing but professional.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. The last dealings with a police officer was to report an atempted break in. Non emergency call, at 11:00 at night. He was PO'd at me for disturbing him. I figured the police might like to know where some criminal activity is going on, you know to keep an eye out for guys trying to crowbar open a front door. Anyway I replaced the door the next day and will just send polite letters to them from now on.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I had an LAPD moment when I was living in Hollywood in 1980. I was outside working on my Bug when I heard a shot fired down the street and the bullet whizz by overhead. I called the LAPD to report it. They showed up and spent about 20 minutes grilling me, trying to find a reason to arrest me. For "being there", I guess. Rest assured that I've never willingly gotten involved with the LAPD in any fashion ever since.

Then there was the LAPD cycle cop who pulled me over because I was on a black motorcycle. A speeding black motorcycle had evaded capture by a patrol car several hours before so this psycho was stopping all black motorcycles..... in 1974!! 50% of motorcycles were black in 1974! He was so pissed that I wasn't the guy he was looking for that he warned me that if I "did it again" he would come to my house and arrest me. Then he drove away while yelling at me to "slow down". Talk about a looney toon with a gun!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too, can support your memories based on my similar experience. I had an epiphany of sorts one day while in class for criminal justice studies. I was far more interested in investigative work and had little desire to "be a cop." After listening to a lecture, my ears were opened so to speak and I was able to really "hear" the responses from most of the other students. Bottomline: they just wanted to bust heads. From that very moment forward(at least 15 years ago)I ceased in further studies of criminal justice. Since that time I've been more keen to observe law enforcement persons and in my opinion most of them fit a mold or personality type. There have always been a few who were merciful and "let me go" from a minor infraction but all in all most cops are the same. My opinion.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.