Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
First as a fellow motorcyclist I want to offer my deepest sympathy to the victims family. It's always saddening to hear of a pointless death due to someone elses carelessness. As for this goverment stooge, I would like to see the average joe get 12 tickets in 4 years, pay over $1000 in fines and still have a license. The fallout from this could reach many more people than just the "honorable" state representative. Wait till the spin doctors get through with this one. I'd bet they will do everything possible to make him seem like just as much of a victim, if not more. BURN HIS LICENSE AND MAKE HIM PAY!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey, hang on!

Any death of someone so young is a tradgedy for him, his family etc.

BUT (and it's a big but) in the article there's no mention of who was at fault. We cant just assume that the motorcyclist doesnt deserve some or all of the blame, REGARDLESS of the drivers driving record.

Why was this posted?

comiserations to the riders family and friends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read the articles and find it hard to believe that they have not disclosed who was at fault. Although things are clearly slanted at getting us to believe Janklow was at fault. Especially the statement "The crash occurred Saturday at an intersection about 25 miles northeast of Sioux Falls that had only a stop sign for Janklow." My deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Scott. If Janklow is at fault, no punishment would be severe enough... I am intrested in further details.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I live in SD, less than 2 hours away from where the accident happened. From what I heard, from very reliable sources is that Janklow(the fat, ugly dude), ran a stop sign and hit the motorcyclist. He didn't start braking until AFTER he ran the sign and saw/hit the motorcyclist. Many of the tickets he has received were not listed in the article about his driving record.

While he was in office he even wanted to have red lights like a police car installed on his personal car. He got pulled over for going 114mph in western SD a few years ago and when the trooper walked up to his window he just said, "I'm the governor I can do what I want." He then rolled up his window and drove off before the trooper could give him a ticket. I think he should lose his license.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The real question is whether South Dakota will do a fair and thorough investigation or will they bring in an investigation team from Tennessee. Much as I'd like to rail against the congressman, I know that there are more than a few of us who routinely go 15-20 over in rural areas.

My prediction: Either the investigation will find the congressman guilty and we'll scream for his head or they'll find he wasn't at fault and we'll scream cover-up.

Justice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm overwhelmed at the critical analysis of the facts by all my fellow MO'FOs that were presented in this article. These facts lead one to the obvious conclusion that the congressman is at fault. Why, the evidence is so overwhelming that he should be impeached - especially considering the fact that he's a Republican.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last year was a bad year for motorcyclists in my home town of Madison, Wisconsin. For a month or so there was a nasty heat wave, and hardly a day went by without the words "hit and run", "drunk driver" and "motorcyclist killed" on the evening news. Cars got more and more beligerent on the road as their occupants tried to get where they were going without roasting or sweating through their clothes.

All this registered somewhere in the back of my mind, but I didn't think much of it. Then, driving home from work one evening, as I'm rounding a turn maybe five block from my house, a car runs the stop sign. He skidded. I skidded. He missed me. Close call. What did hit me was his reaction. He cursed at me, called me every name in the book as I sat on my bike in front of him. In his eyes, this almost accident was my fault. I was the crazy one for riding a bike. More than a little shaken, I rode the rest of the way home.

The next day, I drove my car to work. As the summer progressed into fall, I found myself riding less and less. I'd get on my bike, but something was missing. I found myself watching everyone on the road a little closer. I found myself wondering if today's the day I become a statistic. I saw that braying ass in every driver. Riding wasn't fun anymore.

I'd like to say that eventually I got over it, but this year, the bike stayed under it's cover almost all summer. I wish it was different, but every time I the evening news tells me about another biker getting killed, I just think of the reaction of that driver. In their eyes, it's our fault.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If someone had the nerve to do that to me, I would beat the sh*t out of him, plain and simple.

Not the responsible thing to do, but it would literally be strikinug a blow for motorcyclists everywhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ride where deer are more of a problem then people. Try it. I live 30 miles from nyc and must go thru nyc to get to nice riding areas. So I know what you are talking about. The escape from the overly competitive drivers is an absolute joy. I think your rides are trying to tell you something.

Learn to listen to your ride. The joy of riding can rarely be found in congested areas. Remember this is not about transportation. It's about your soul rising to the surface thru all the protection mechanism that are neccessary in this day in and day out world.

Riding is a science and a religion that requires active participation using your mind and soul.

Also it sounds as if you left before you knew if he was going to stop or not. When you ride you ride according to the laws of physics not the laws of the men who break them.

Take a deep breath. Know what you are doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sincerely hope that some South Dakota legislator does not come up with the "Randolph Scott Memorial Mandatory Helmets for all Motorcyclists" bill. We should all be following this story very closely.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.