Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Had to be a beanie ...

No, his problem was not wearing assless chaps and fingerless gloves. If I recall, if his pipes were loud enough that imparts a magical shield that protects him from all things that might harm him.

Also what does HD say about thunder, perhaps the start of a new marketing campaign.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened here in Virginia last year.

Story excerpt: The VIRGINIAN-PILOT SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY - A 43-year-old Virginia Beach man was killed early Tuesday evening in Southampton County when he was struck by lightning while headed west on U.S. 58 on his motorcycle.. Richard Moran Jr. of Eddystone Drive was near the Courtland exit of business U.S. 58, police said.. A witness reported seeing the lightning strike the man, causing him to lose control of the bike, veer across the median into the eastbound lanes, and eventually off the side of the ...

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Well I've got a story of my own. Several years ago I was riding back from the desert on Hwy 78 in CA. My girl and I had taken off our jackets due to the stifling heat. As we approached the backside of the mountains near Julian, CA, some ominous clouds moved in and it started raining like a mutha.

We pulled to the side of the road to don our jackets and a bolt of lightening arched over us and hit the mountainside a VERY short distance away. We could see rocks fly up as the lightening hit the ground.

There but for the grace of God go I............

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Well I was golfing in Cincinatti Ohio and it started clouding up real quick and this bolt of lightning hit a mallard or some kind of duck and it exploded into a giant ball of feathers, and for a for a split second just the bill was sticking out of the explosion like a Daffy Duck cartoon.

And that was it for the little black duck.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
and to think we used to laugh at the brothers back in KC with those whatever-they're-called? grounding strips dragging the road behind their Caddys. Poor sap. Wonder if he was riding a Buell Lightning and angered the gods?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got caught in a Hail Storm Once

Got caught in a Hail Storm Once, pulled the old 85 900 Ninja under a car wash, still it hurt like hell, but I guess not as bad has getting hit by 10 billion volts of electricty

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, If you were to make a list of the absolute crappiest things that could happen to you whilst riding, I'm thinking "Struck by lightning" would have to be at or near the top. Talk about crap luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two years ago my riding partner and I were returning home from a dual sport rally in Ouray CO. and we had a similar thing happen to us. A lightening storm came up quickly and while we were riding approx. 200 feet apart a lightening bolt struck between us on the highway and blew asphalt all over my riding partners bike and stuck little pieces of asphalt in his windshield. Moral of the story is do not ride in a lightening storm.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Lightning is nothing to screw around with. Last spring my wife and I were up at our cabin doing some painting inside when a lightning bolt hit on the mountainside about 100 yards away. Just before it hit our hair started to stand on end and when it did hit we got a shock from the metal ladder we were using. Yikes!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.