Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know of any organization or policy which states that this is either a good idea or legal.

However, when I have to drone along on multi-lane roads, this is what I do. Being slightly aggressive is the best defense. You're in more control of the situation.

When I moved to Iowa (a great place to be from) in 1987, i FLUNKED the written motorcycle test. The answers they provided were insane. If you were to follow their "rules," you wouldn't last long (suggestions like riding in the center of the lane, etc.) I complained, and the examiner said, "We hear that alot."

At the examiner's suggestion, I ended up keeping my Illinois license until I moved to Minnesota.

You could argue, but to what extent a judge is sympathetic is questionable. Maybe you'd get a judge who rides.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
"However, when I have to drone along on multi-lane roads, this is what I do. Being slightly aggressive is the best defense. You're in more control of the situation'

[*]When I commuted I definitely found your (blitz) method to be the best... But I probably would of received a ticket in the same situation as eisenfaust was in.. [*] I had a MSF instructor that told me he avoided the HOV lane and the Fast lane and stuck to the slow lane at the speed limit. However, for me the merging and folks cutting you off to get to the exit in front of you drove me nuts using his strategy. I latter found out he lived in a rural area and only commuted to Seattle only to teach MSF on the weekends

Bottom line for me eisenfaust is that your strategy is safer but will may get you some tickets along the way...I definitely feel you have the right strategy and it is probably mentioned verbaly (with a wink of the eye) in MSF classes, Magazines, and off the record.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
i think caltrans or somebody has to do studies every now and then to determine like average speed on any given road, which is how they supposedly determine speed limits. If you could get info for the stretch of 101 you were on, and if it's same as speed you were cited for, maybe??

i think traffic judges are like the guys from bottom of barrel, tho, angry and not to be reasoned with much.

in LA u can do online traffic school, that's the best. no points, no wasted Saturday. Easiest solution.

·
Registered
473 Posts
the golden rule is not to stick out. don't go 10 mph faster than ambient traffic. five maybe. 10 ... no. you become an instant target

if traffic is humming along at 70 (which it often is in cali-fornicate) then you can get away with 75. not 80.

it helps if you ride a non-sport bike. cops assume touring bikes, standards, and cruisers are safer. they regard sport bikes as squid projectiles in search of the nearest organ donation stations.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
"i think traffic judges are like the guys from bottom of barrel, tho, angry and not to be reasoned with much."

Excellent Point.

Remember that guy who was nailed for allegedly doing 212 on an RC51... Sportbike Pilot made this big deal how you could fight it like Perry Mason. Heck most cases get 5 minutes with a quick judgement. Especially in large metro areas where the volume of cases is tremendous...

·
Registered
145 Posts
My secret is go 100-120(depends on traffic), with a Solo S2 radar detector with an ear piece. That way you'll never be surprised from the back and you'll be mostly aware of whats going on in front of you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ahhhh, you're screwed. Pay the man.

Sure wish us Pacific Northwesterners could get rid of one moving violation per year by taking traffic school.....

Course, then my riding would be even more hairball at times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heh. I dont expect to get this thrown out. Like I said, its been 5 years since I've had a ticket, I dont feel *too* bad about it. I figure maybe I can get the fine reduced a bit.

And I'm definitely doing traffic school. Heh.

And for the record, I ride an SV650. *shrug*

·
Registered
112 Posts
Y'know, spb, the MSF class that I took last year was taught by a guy who rode EVERYWHERE, and he suggested lane one or two(if a 6 lane highway) and recommended only entering the slow lane when you need to exit the hwy. Seems much more reasonable to me. Also recommended doing no more than traffic speed, though I've been scared by race-ready cagers riding my rear wheel doing that. I do my best to get out of their way; they obviously need to get to the next red on PCH before I do....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Granted that yoavy is kidding, he still overlooks the point that the motorcycle cops are too busy looking at traffic to keep a radar going. An aft looking radar detector would do nothing but inspire false confidence.

Of course, he could still outrun the BMW, right?

Stationary radar at an entrance to the freeway may well be a different matter as regards detection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Longride, this brings quite a few things to mind:

First, BUMMER! I'm up in Fort Bragg on an SV650 as well. I'm coming up on a year of street riding and got lucky running into a very "sane" group of older riders in my area who took me under their wing. We go for some great sunday rides in this area and are always looking for other sane types to ride with us. Contact me if you are interested in joining us some time.

An aquaintance in the area got a CHP ticket doing 75 in a 55. it was knocked down to 69 or something so that it wouldn't be wreckless driving. I think your 75 in a 55 might be considered that. The officer recommended taking traffic school online. He quoted the officer as saying, "Yeah, it's pretty cool. You can get drunk and sit in front of your computer." My aquaintance considered fighting the ticket on these ackward grounds. Dunno how it turned out, just an interesting side note.

I have only heard the same agressive driving recommendation from assorted motorcyclists and must say I use it in moderation myself. Never seen it written anywhere.

Personally I'm not a fan of radar detectors. Legally they can't function as detecting radar until AFTER you've been tagged. So, you get nailed, slam on the brakes and look like an idiot. Who knows!?

Anyway, it's awesome riding up here. You can't get out of town without having a really, REALLY fun ride. 'Course you'd have to come INTO town first. Sounds like a bummer already.

Yeah, so good luck with your bad experience and maybe I'll hear from you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
That stretch of 101 is the infamous "revenue roundup" area where the speed is lowered to the extent where most drivers(moto and cager alike), will be exceeding the limit. You could argue that traffic needs to slow before the approach to the tunnel and bridge, but this stretch is 12 miles long! Quite the cash cow for the CHP. Motorcycles are also more of a target because there are many times where thereare more than one rider, so they can garner more tickets for one stop, as me and a buddy found out there. Show up in court irregardless. Don't use the 10 miles faster approach. Argue that the surrounding traffic was exceeding the limit and that you were simply caught up in the faster ttraffic and it was unsafe to manuver out at the point when you were stopped. And of course the traffic slowed when the patrol officer pulled along side of you.

Brad

Santa Cruz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.