Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST POST! I saw the race on SpeedTV and it was as thrilling as the press release makes it to be. The guts of Biagi and Capirossi, especially, were just amazing. For one lap they kept passing eachother, so close that I was sure one or the other (or both) was going to crash. I was on the edge of my seat. Good show for Ducati, too. Capirossi did have an edge on the straightaways (205 mph!!!!). The braking action at the end of the long fast straigt was just amazing.

Giulio

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
I agree. The duel between Capirossi and Biagi was fantastic. Ducati deserves much praise for having a great bike in their first year back. Contrast it to Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. Aprilia I give a break cause they are small and have new riders to the series.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Death of Inline Fours in GP racing!

Maybe Kaw, Suzuki, and Yamaha are getting their ass kicked because they are running outdated, inferior inline fours?? LOL Yeah, that's the scoop! When the REAL racing is on the line, the inline four just doesn't measure up, eh KP??

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Death of Inline Fours in GP racing!

Never said V-4s or V-5s suck. Just that your beloved V-Twns do. LOL back at you. Besides not all the above mentioned bikes are inlines. Snicker Snicker.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Just the ones losing bad are inlines. It's an outdated design, worthy of nothing more notable than to be kept alive by restrictive racing rules. Isn't that your beef with the twin? I think it is.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

I thought Suzuki was a V-4: Just Kawasucki and Yamaha run inlines. I can give Yamaha a break since they've had so many injuries to their riders this year. Kawi and Suzuki have no excuse- those things just aren't competitive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All I can say is that when Biaggi and Capirossi bumped in that corner and neither man so much as flinched, I was in freakin' awe!

There must be huge scalloped out holes in their seats to make room for their enormous brass balls.

EBass

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

They don't. They favor four period. Honda noticed they let them have 5 cylinders with no weight penalty and we see the results. Now if we have rules that allow 6 cylinders with no weight penalty, then Honda would have a six banger. Simply put, and I have to put it simple for you, is more cylinders wins. Inline fours are only saved by the rules and companies too lazy to develop better motors.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I always thought Honda were the world's greatest engine makers (we know they make the most at least) but man Ducati are showing what they can do. The V4 is obviously a good unit and they have it smoking. I'm guessing if Honda needed to they could turn up the wick a bit on the V5 but so far they have the right balance to do the lap times with Rossi on board. If only Ducati could find that same balance they will have a winner and even us Honda riders know the respect that Ducati deserve already. As for Suzuki, they have a V4, but what's the problem? Kawasaki don't seem to have stepped up too much from superbike racing so maybe their unit is just too damn mellow. It looked like Yamaha might have some pace last year, but I always doubted the in-line would ever do it. The same happened back with the 2 strokes of old - KRSNR may have won on the old Yam 500 with effectively two side by side 250s geared together but once Honda came along with the NS500 V3 and then the NSR500 and Yamaha changed to a V4 as well, the in-lines were doomed. There aren't too many multicylinder engines racing in any class - bike or car - these days that aren't a V engine of some sort.

We know KPaul likes V engines because he said a while back he would love to buy a VFR himself. Its just the twins he's a bit cold on.

Cheers from NZ. Damn it blew 95mph all night last night here and it took out the gates at the side of my house - broke a 4x4 post. Bike has stayed in the garage.

Merv.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
ST4's are cool but they seem kinda maintainence intensive with the valve adjustments and all. I looked for a new ST2 leftover but I couldn't find one in town. What I did was worked a deal on ( drum roll ) a new '02 Triumph Trophy 1200 that I'll pick up Tuesday. It's actually the bike I looked at and test rode a couple of months ago. I was planning on buying it all along but I got swayed by the BM. With it being an '02 it's got enough discounts to make up for the difference in trade in vs. retail on the RT, so I'm coming out more or less even. It's pretty much my Bandit with bags and a bigger fairing so it should be cool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.