Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Incredible race, both parts. In the dry half, the Hondas would catdch Rossi in the straights, and he'd overtake in the turns, again and again and again. In the wet half, Rossi hung back testing the track for the first couple of laps, then outroad evrybody. Truly amazing display of skill and cagey restraint. Really exciting race(s).

·
Registered
89 Posts
The overhead camera angle from the chopper when gibernau rossi, biaggi, and tamada went screaming into the 60mph right hander at the end of the home straight was out of this world, particularly as Rossi had just recovered from a nasty 200mph speed wobble...but still manage to outbrake the other three and ride through them.

If you missed this race, do whatever it takes to see a recording, it was quality.

·
Registered
771 Posts
damm fine racing. All of the GP guys where showing balls of titanium. Who in their right mind does 200mph in the rain, on slicks, then slams on the brakes, to turn in at 50mph.

Hope they repeat it for those who missed it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That was fun.

I'll tell you what, racing can be damn boring much of the time. Not MotoGP. (And the AMA Superbike was pretty interesting, too.) This is what racing should be. insane skill, daring passing, 3-5 wide. Do people really think NASCAR is exciting?

Watch MotoGP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I saw this in just about the best surroundings: at Newcomb Ranch on the Angeles Crest with other bikers around. We were all amazed at Rossi's skills. It is obvious the Yamaha needs to find a bit more top speed, as he could not hold the Hondas off in the straights, but he is amazing in the curves. Nerves of steel and balls to match. Can anyone doubt he is the best? Great race! How many passes did we see? by comparison, Formula 1 racing and Nascar are BORING as can be. And, thank goodness Nakano is OK: did you see how many times his helmet hit the ground when he was tumbling? I thought he would be severely injured for sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Laments!

I wish there was something easily watchable that wasn't stock cars!

I wish Americans cared for 'cycle racing more.

As is, I just can't justify shelling out $75-100 a month, or whatever it is, for the Giant Cable Package Of Death just to get speed for MotoGP and stuff. ((I don't actually watch TV besides; right now I haven't even got mine hooked up to anything but a DVD player)). I think I heard something about a regulation in progress forcing the companies to allow people to buy the channels that they wanted out of these huge bundles; not that I'm for --legislation-- to that effort necessarily but I would definitely buy just speed chanell if'n I could.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Nakano's crash

That was one of the most amazing crashes that I've seen in a while. They say he was going about 200 mph when he crashed. It looked like a high speed wobble that flicked him over the high side. Anyone have a link to this crash on the web?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Nakano's crash

I couldn't believe he was still conscious when they carted him off. Looked like he had his bell rung pretty good, but he was still with us. Nice shot of him later smiling and waving in the pits. Hope they gave him some Advil.

After seeing that, does anyone doubt how important it is to wear your gear--even just around town?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Apologies...

to all females at MO. The salutation "boys" was not meant in any sort of misogynist way.

Although a majority of MOrons are guys, I hope to God there are at least a few women who use this site...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ran home for lunch today and watched it again on SPEED, it just as incredible the 2nd time around. It was amazing; at the end of the long straight, how Rossi could pass Tamada, Gibernau and Biaggi on the brakes every time

What has happened to Colin Edwards so far this year?

·
Registered
62 Posts
MotoGP: The season to remember

This is IT, isn't it, folks? The season of competition and intensity we'd all been looking for. Just look at the top ten: Three Ducatis, Three Hondas, Three Yamahas, and an Aprilia.

While the race for the championship certainly seems to be shaping up to be a three-man fight, on any given day there's half a dozen other guys that can be a factor, some we predicted, and some we didn't. Hey, even Xaus didn't crash!

Surprises in the season for me:

1) Marco Melandri -- where did this guy come from? He's been amazing, and with a little different luck on a couple of those races...

2) Bayliss getting a handle on the Ducati while Capirossi fades.

3) Nicky Hayden's and Alex Barros -- bet a lot of us thought that duo would be in the opposite order.

A few other things, but I'll ramble less and see what anyone else has to say more. No, I'm not counting Rossi as a 'surprise.'

Next year he wins the championship on a Proton. Well, maybe not.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: MotoGP: The season to remember

Not likely. He will switch to the Moriwaki(sp), or WCM team and win it all on one of those POS's.

Then he start his own team the year after that, and start making his own bikes, which are superior to the other bikes racing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Does anyone out there know what helmet brand Nakano San was wearing? I need to buy one of those.

As far as the no-helmet crowd out there are concerned, that was pure luck right? No way! That is the value of wearing protective gear in a real live demonstration.

·
Registered
7 Posts

1) Marco Melandri -- where did this guy come from? He's been amazing, and with a little different luck on a couple of those races...

Uh.. he'd be 2002's 250cc champion, and the youngest ever.

I guess you guys don't get to see any of those 125 or 250 races.. they're usually almost as crazy - it's hard to believe how fast they can corner.

·
Registered
62 Posts

No, I suppose we don't. For "where he came from," of course, I was using a figure of speech... but we don't get much opportunity to see the 125/250 stuff; most of the 'lesser' series that we see are the AMA ones. I'd never seen this guy ride before this season. He's gonna be one to watch, methinks, especially if the Yammies get up there even with the Hondas.

Anyone heard anything about the Yamahas' handling compared to the Hondas? It's tough for me to tell, considering we're just watching Rossi and Melandri riding, for the most part, so I don't know if I'm delusional, but they seem to be able to carry (the Doctor inparticular, natch) a lot more corner speed than the hondas tend to. Hrm. But I'm just a bench authority, I really don't know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.