Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to motorcycles and am looking for my first bike. The bike I am looking at is a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. It has 2,000 miles as it has been in storage for over 5 years in a garage here in Hawaii. The seller has recently done an oil change, fuel tank flush and a tune-up. He is in the process of fixing the carburator which is leaking fuel and will get a safety check

I would appreciate any advice as to other things I should be aware of if I should buy the bike. If you are unfamiliar with the Vulcan, it has a liquid liquid cooled engine with a drum brake in the rear and disc up front.

I am guessing that the tires may need replacement even if they look good.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to flush the coolant, and the brake fluid. You're right-on about the tires. Other than that - seals, hoses, etc. should all be looked-over thoroughly. Inspect the wiring/underseat/undertank areas for "rodent damage".

If it idles and accelerates smoothly, and stops without incident - should be no problem.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Don't know Ken, Seems like the original owner is going through the hassle for him. If it's only the carbs??? I've spent money on non-running bikes that were worth it in the end.
If you like it and it meets your needs just make sure that you have it checked out by a bike shop. Should cost you $50 or so for that piece of mind. They'll give you a rundown of the things that need to be addressed and you can decide. Odds are you'll be fine. They're great bikes to start on.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I am a newbie to motorcycles and am looking for my first bike. The bike I am looking at is a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. It has 2,000 miles as it has been in storage for over 5 years in a garage here in Hawaii. The seller has recently done an oil change, fuel tank flush and a tune-up. He is in the process of fixing the carburator which is leaking fuel and will get a safety check

I would appreciate any advice as to other things I should be aware of if I should buy the bike. If you are unfamiliar with the Vulcan, it has a liquid liquid cooled engine with a drum brake in the rear and disc up front.

I am guessing that the tires may need replacement even if they look good.

Thanks
I had a 95 A model Vulcan 800 not classic, but same bike mechanically, you have heavier fenders & fat front tire, mine had the 21 inch spokes. I loved it, strong bike not too big to learn on & not too small for fear of outgrowing too quickly. What are you giving for it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts