Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Razorblade.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
There are two major methods:

1- On an HD unwrap the bailing wire and duct tape from the grip and pull it off with vise grips.

2- On Japanese bikes turn the bike in at the nearest junkyard and buy a new one.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I've always cut mine off. Sometimes I even don't break the throttle assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All I had to do was unscrew the bar ends, and got the grip off by wiggling a screw driver between the bar & grip. I was also replacing the handle bars so I wasn't worried about scratches. I did find that some "Goof-Off" residue remover helped the process.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Need Help On Installing New Gripes

Take it to the shop, have them do it. They are paid professionals, with years of experience. Do not try it at home, as it might result in permanent injury or miserable death.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Put a little pine-tar on the old ones and save the 7 bucks and having to go through cutting them off with a razorblade and sliding the new ones on with a little hairspray;-)

·
Registered
872 Posts

miserable injury or permanent death?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take off the bar-end weights and place the tapered end of your air nozzle (if you have a compressor) between the grip and bar. Hit the button and pull the grip off at the same time. If there's glue on the grip, the air should still take it loose, you may just have to hit it more than once.

Reverse the process to install new grips.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

It doesn't matter as long as everyone understands just how incredibly dangerous and foolhardy it is to ride a motorcycle.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Installing New Grips Can be Tough

Jane: "How hot and wet do you like it?"

Frank: "Very hot and very wet."

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts

Jane: I've heard police work is dangerous.

Frank: It is. That's why I carry a big gun.

Jane: Aren't you afraid it might go off accidentally?

Frank: I used to have that problem.

Jane: What did you do about it?

Frank: I just think about baseball.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

Mrs Norberg: Oh, my poor Nordberg! He was such a good man, Frank. He never wanted to hurt anyone. Who would do such a thing?

Frank: lt's hard to tell. A gang of thugs, a blackmailer,an angry husband, a gay lover...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.