Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Word from one who knows: If you're just getting into motorcycling DO NOT buy a "sport bike".

Buy an old Japanese standard or dual-sport, get some riding (and crashing) under your belt, then move up to something better.

Can I interest you in a nice clean CL350?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
As a plus: Hawk's crash very well - few things to fix when you eventually drop/throw it down (levers, mirrors, pegs, usually).

They hold their value well, and prices range from several-hundred for a lightly-crashed rebuilder, to ~$5000 for an immaculate, tastefully-modified example of the Breed.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I know you're 18 and probably only like sportbikes for there looks but consider this:

Your insurance will be HIGH if you look for anything other than liability only coverage.

check these out (some were previously mentioned): Honda 599, Honda CBR600f3, Kawi z750, Ducati Monter 695, Triumph Speed 4, Suzuki SV650s (with lower fairing kit- for that sportbike look you crave).

Looking at any of the bikes above will save you tons of money over the straight-out sportbike class.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The ninja 250 and 500's work well for shorter folks too, and they won't loop if you twist too hard either.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Seconded. Do what this man says. UJM or dual sport is the way to start, especially dual sport. I wish I started on one. Height may be an issue for you on that though.

If you absolutely must have a sport bike, get a Ninja 250 and don't pay more than $1500 for it. Year is unimportant. Brand new they MSRP at $3000 and there were factory rebates last year, so don't let anyone scam you.

There's going to be a bunch of naysayer friends of yours who will rag on you for having a small bike, but I'm willing to bet that 9/10ths of them don't have a bike, or let their dad pay for the one they do have. I started at age 19 on a '72 CB500. I paid $400 for it, and fell over on it at least 4 times. Trust me, it will be worth it. Whatever you buy, you'll be able to resell for the same price and then you'll be comfortable moving on to a bigger bike. I promise you that you will thank me if you follow this advice.

--The Fox

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm just a bit taller than you are, so I know the feeling when over half the bikes you can't even ride. My suggestion is a Ninja 650R. Cheap, good motor, enough power to still get you in trouble and you can always replace the bars with clip-ons if you want a more aggressive riding position later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best advice ever!

A 1975 CL360 was my first "big" streetbike at 16yo. The year I got it was 1979 and I went to the Honda dealer to look at one bike. Go ahead and guess which one it was. Come on guess!

Luckily the salesman was a friend of the family and he pointed me away from that 16yo's wetdream and toward the brand new NOS CL360 and made me a great deal.

After the first drop I knew I had the right bike to grow up on.

By the way mscuddy: Sadly my CL is long gone so I have to ask you a question. Where are you and how much?

Derrick

·
Registered
24 Posts
No brainer: Ninja 250. $3000 new, your feet will be flat on the ground when stopped, insurance is cheap, sportbike look (full fairing), lots of fun to ride. Have put almost 8000 miles on mine since September. By the way: I have been riding since 1980 and have had FZR 1000, R6, SV650-love my little Ninja, and when you learn to really ride, it romps through through the twisties. GO for it!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The GS500 is a good choice, but I imagine you want the 100+ horsepower sort.

If you do get a fully faired bike I suggest you take the fairing off for the first few months. At least until you are sure you won't tip it over in parking lots or toss it down the road.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Best advice ever!

I am in Burbank California and it is a pristine 1970 CL350 in tangerene orange with 8000k on the clock. Looks/runs like new. I will let it go to a fellow MOron for real cheap, like $900.00 bucks. Injury forces sale.

My guess is you wanted the CB750F. Right?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Another choice: any year FZR600. The older the better. Parts are plentiful and cheap on eBay.

You're kidding about size, right? I am 6' and 200 lbs. I feel like a ball-turret gunner on most sportbikes. You should be able to fit on just about anything.

You're not really considering a NEW bike, are you?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Best advice ever!

Pshaw, silly me...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Class? Training? Surely you jest! Teenagers KNOW EVERYTHING! How could one ever hold his head up amongst his peers unless he made to stupidest choice possible?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I'd also go with a GS500, I've been looking at them for my daughter who is about your size and she feels pretty comfortable on it.

If you want a good standard non sportbike then the new Bonnevilles are good handleing, fairly low and well balanced. And you have the cool factor of riding a legend.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.