Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
New 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, YZ450F & YZ250F

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article New 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, YZ450F & YZ250F in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Tank-yous sweet Bejeezus!

The Fuzz-Nine weighs only something like 33lb more than my HawkGT! And only stickers for $2k more than I bought my Fizz-Six back in Ought-Four!

You need a real-world tester? I can be on a plane with as little as 3 or 4 hours notice....

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Tank-yous sweet Bejeezus!

The Fuzz-Nine weighs only something like 33lb more than my HawkGT! And only stickers for $2k more than I bought my Fizz-Six back in Ought-Four!

You need a real-world tester? I can be on a plane with as little as 3 or 4 hours notice....
You're fifth in line on the dibs call... :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
FZ a hit.

I am drawn to sporty naked bikes.More displacement less cost is what competition is all about. I also like the hidden gas cap on the YZ. Yamaha has done a good job all the way around.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Yamaha's Fazer 700 was one of my favorite bikes of the '80s. Seems it was way ahead of its time:

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I like this bike a lot. If it had full fairings I'd consider it as a possible upgrade for my gf's Ninja 500R. She's kinda hankering for a more powerful bike, but I think (actually, I know) she wouldn't like the insurance cost of a supersport.

Rode my Z750S to work today. Things my Z has that this bike doesn't: 4.8 gallon tank. Front fairing. Things the new FZ has that my bike doesn't: a triple motor (nice, but I like my inline 4 just fine), and less weight (my Z supposedly weighs 430 lbs dry). I've upgraded the suspension and brakes on my Z (not to mention the seat) so we'll call those a wash.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Given the FZ9's price and appearance, I predict it will have a good but stuffed up and sanitized sewing machine motor, good frame/handling, decent brakes, marginal forks and a crappy shock. A very good deal in other words! Suspension is fixable. We cheapskate FZ1 guys came up with a home brew shock adaptor that allows the mounting of an R1 shock. Guys pick off R1 forks and brakes off eBay and mount them all the time. Stuffed up exhausts and lean fueling are fixable too.

This strikes me as a cool project bike that an enthusiast like me could enjoy modding. A light punchy throaty cheap and indestructible triple from Japan for the everyman. It is about time. The pricing on the 9 is on line with the Gladius, Ninja 650, etc. It should by all rights sell like free beer.

Hoping they come out with a bikini fairing model. I think it would look better and be more functional.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in love with the FZ-09. The price is terrific and it looks great. My favorite dealer picked up Yamaha a year ago. I'll take mine in Red please. Wow!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Did one of you guys just fart?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
If Yamaha sticks this engine into a sportbike with R6-styling, I'm gonna plotz.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
This strikes me as a cool project bike that an enthusiast like me could enjoy modding. A light punchy throaty cheap and indestructible triple from Japan for the everyman. It is about time. The pricing on the 9 is on line with the Gladius, Ninja 650, etc. It should by all rights sell like free beer.

Hoping they come out with a bikini fairing model. I think it would look better and be more functional.
The FZ8 was a good but bland bike. The FZ-09 has more ponies, more torque, 50 fewer pounds and a lower price - plus the coolness of a modern Triple. It can't be anything but good, and it might just be great! It's up to you to adapt a crashed FZ1 fairing to it...

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Duken4evr said:
It should by all rights sell like free beer.
Well, only if said-same is better than the domestic swill most "Beer Companies" try to pass off.....

beer rain - YouTube

·
Registered
5 Posts
That bike looks amazing, and it might very well be the street bike I buy to supplement the dual sport. I'm definitely going to want something in the way of a headlight cowling, though. It just looks like a fly screen was supposed to be there and fell off somewhere between the design department and the production department. That said, the price, power, weight, etc are all super competitive with everything else in its class.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts