Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard anything about changes for '08? I'm waiting to buy one because I don't want to buy now and discover that the new ones have something I'd wanted. Any scuttlebutt is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Well, the New-And-Improved-Never-Needs-Maintenance Final Drives are dropping like flies in the IBR this year...........

(and in '05 it was the alternator belts - I didn't even know BMWs HAD alternator belts 'til then!)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Well, the New-And-Improved-Never-Needs-Maintenance Final Drives are dropping like flies in the IBR this year...........

(and in '05 it was the alternator belts - I didn't even know BMWs HAD alternator belts 'til then!)
"Chris Sakala is the THIRD BMW rider to experience a final drive failure on this rally. His R1150GS Adventure is broken down in Leadville, Colorado."

Can't beat that 'superior' German engineering! :lol:

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
BMWs are the best quality...

"Chris Sakala is the THIRD BMW rider to experience a final drive failure on this rally. His R1150GS Adventure is broken down in Leadville, Colorado."

Can't beat that 'superior' German engineering! :lol:
... 60's motorcycles available!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
... 60's motorcycles available!
I can see having some engine quirks these days with a new design, but how could you eff-up a shaft drive? I mean they have been making them for 50 years or so? I can't figure out how you can make a simple ring and pinion final drive fail. It boggles the mind! ;-)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ya got me.

I can see having some engine quirks these days with a new design, but how could you eff-up a shaft drive? I mean they have been making them for 50 years or so? I can't figure out how you can make a simple ring and pinion final drive fail. It boggles the mind! ;-)
Especially in $15K motorcycles. It must be that superior German engineeeeeering I hear so much about.

Maybe BMW's bike division is trying to be as maintenance free as their car division.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Especially in $15K motorcycles. It must be that superior German engineeeeeering I hear so much about. Maybe BMW's bike division is trying to be as maintenance free as their car division.
LOL! So true. The more we move ahead in technology the more unreliable "most" of it gets. BMW should have their shaft drives down to fine science, but several Beemer riders with recent models I've spoken with have been spending A LOT of time getting warranty repairs/replacements on stuff while my WeeStrom takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
LOL! So true. The more we move ahead in technology the more unreliable "most" of it gets. BMW should have their shaft drives down to fine science, but several Beemer riders with recent models I've spoken with have been spending A LOT of time getting warranty repairs/replacements on stuff while my WeeStrom takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
May we assume you've been licking your WeeStrom in the privacy of your own garage?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Wasn't there some can-bus problems on the '05 too?
I've owned and enjoyed a GS in the past. The BMW guys seem to be sounding a lot like another bunch of owners. "You guys are just jealous because you can't afford a REAL bike."

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
CAN't Bus.........

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Is 'personality' what they call standing on the side of the road screaming your head off at a broken-down motorcycle? I thought it was called 'insanity'. :-x
You too, eh?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
What kills me is the air of superiority these beemer riders have. I was riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday, and i guess there was some kind of BMW thing going on.

Not one of those f*ckers wave back at me on my Concours.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ha!

What kills me is the air of superiority these beemer riders have. I was riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday, and i guess there was some kind of BMW thing going on.

Not one of those f*ckers wave back at me on my Concours.
It's even worse than that. Like some of the HD guys who don't think Sportsters are "real" Harleys you've got Airhead Beemer guys who don't think that oilheads or K bikes are "real" BMWs. Others look down on the 650s. Etc . Etc. Yada yada yada.

Seems that arrogant pigheadedness isn't limited to any one brand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.