Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I think it doesn't look as bad as the 1125R. It's nothing an aluminium ballbat and some Mighty Putty®wouldn't cure............

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys are never satisfied...

Isn't this the very bike a lot of you jokers have been crying for Buell to build? Seems like we should be thrilled, n'est pas? Admittedly, the poor wee beastie cries out for radiator rhinoplasty. Otherwise, it's an American made leading edge street fighter/naked/whatever the trendy pigeonhole is, with a stonking motor that's NOT A FOOKIN HARLEY. If you don't want to ride a ricer clone, isn't this the bike? The fact that you have to do some bodywork to make it your own just makes it all the more personal. I'll just lie down and roll up in my flameproof blanket now.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Isn't this the very bike a lot of you jokers have been crying for Buell to build? Seems like we should be thrilled, n'est pas? Admittedly, the poor wee beastie cries out for radiator rhinoplasty. Otherwise, it's an American made leading edge street fighter/naked/whatever the trendy pigeonhole is, with a stonking motor that's NOT A FOOKIN HARLEY. If you don't want to ride a ricer clone, isn't this the bike? The fact that you have to do some bodywork to make it your own just makes it all the more personal. I'll just lie down and roll up in my flameproof blanket now.
:sad: <-- (me crying)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Maybe Buell should change its focus from "styled around the rider" to "styled around the buyer."
Motorcycle purchases have always been about style to a great extent. At least since the 1920's, when bikes lost the battle for basic transportation to cars. I can't say if I like the new Buell from the photos, but I do appreciate them at least putting the US into the game with a competitive sportbike, and now naked bike.

Here's what's really funny to me: for decades there has been endless discussion of how outdated HD (and Buell with their Sportster based bikes) has been. Yet for months, every damn magazine or website I read is filled with riders whining and crying because the "new" Sportster isn't being sold here! A SPORTSTER, for crying out loud; one that is only slightly different than every other one made for what, 50 years?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Truer words have never been spoken. There is a thundering silence from all those phonies who said they would buy one if Buell ever got a watercooled engine. But hey, it's the internet. Of course, the same people won't touch the Triumph either. All you will ever hear from these frauds is excuses.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Motorcycle purchases have always been about style to a great extent. At least since the 1920's, when bikes lost the battle for basic transportation to cars. I can't say if I like the new Buell from the photos, but I do appreciate them at least putting the US into the game with a competitive sportbike, and now naked bike.

Here's what's really funny to me: for decades there has been endless discussion of how outdated HD (and Buell with their Sportster based bikes) has been. Yet for months, every damn magazine or website I read is filled with riders whining and crying because the "new" Sportster isn't being sold here! A SPORTSTER, for crying out loud; one that is only slightly different than every other one made for what, 50 years?
Its the only cool sporster made to date, and its exported. WTF?

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts

I liked the Buells with the Sportster motor in it. It made them different and they still cranked out 80-90hp. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I liked the Buells with the Sportster motor in it. It made them different and they still cranked out 80-90hp. Good enough for me.
In the mid 90's, my riding pal wanted a new Fat Boy. This was when everyone was standing in line paying 30% over MSRP for a Harley. The dealer told him if he bought a Buell, he could buy a Fat Boy in 6 months. Doug had plenty of money, so he did. It was a Lightning, I'm pretty sure, and that ****ing thing was FAST! And I did an unwanted stoppie because I grabbed the front brake the same way I did the FXS. He kept it exactly 6 months and traded it, but I still think it was a hoot.

I wonder if air-cooled Buells are going to be around much longer?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
No new Sportster in the USA?

I wonder if H-D (or Buell) was worried that the new Sportster would pilfer sales from the Buell side of the house. What says ye?

FWIW, I always liked the Buell styling. I used to say that if they ever built a bike for tall guys like me, I would buy it. A couple of years later, voila... the Ulysses. I'm glad I bought that bike!

BrowningBAR said it well... 80-90hp is good enough for me!

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Buell has a new model on its website.

The styling will get you noticed-perhaps not for your good taste though.

Maybe Buell should change its focus from "styled around the rider" to "styled around the buyer."

http://buell.com/en_us/
Buells bore me. Sorry, just wished they would make something that was competitive as my cookie cutter bike.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I like the Uly, it was on my short list of Vstrom Uly or bagger. In the end I went for comfort and got the bagger but the Uly is definately a cool bike. My buddy rides the wheels off his XB9R so far with no problems other then keeping the front wheel on the ground, I wouldn't mind one as a second bike....

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Oh no doubt they are fun and provide alot of tourqe. To each his own I guess, just like something thats very competitive.
Competitive for what? if you want a track bike they may be a poor choice but for any sane street riding a good rider on a Buell will leave an average rider on the horizon no matter what he's on. They're fun bikes, maybe not your style but you might be surprised.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Oh no doubt they are fun, I'v enjoyed that ride many times.(XB9R) Even got to race one once, but to be leading edge on a track it's alot more practical to get a Japanese bike. Aftermarket parts and availability of those parts makes it the obvious choice.

Your right it is all rider, but I have'nt meet anyone yet on the street I had to chase down on a Rotax oops I mean Buell. Although theres one rider I probly could'nt catch on a buell on a track. D.Estock. Fast mutha!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.